POLL: Refinish or Leave It As Is?? - 2013 R8

Refinish or Leave It As Is- 2013 R8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lkdog

Reaction score
I picked up this 2013 R8 from a fellow MLP member at a very fair price below normal used market value for a 2013 year on up historic.

It was reliced by a previous owner. Kind of a funky look which is not for everybody, but not bad.
The guitar weighs a little over 9 lbs which I am fine with.
It plays great. Came with an expert fret level job and new bone nut. Dead level frets, great intonation, low action, and plays smooth. Good neck.
I threw in some Custombuckers and it sounds like a really good historic LP should.

I can get a full refinish historic makeover in a true nitro burst by a reputable well liked makeover shop for a really decent price. (I can't afford the higher end places, but his work looks just as good in my opinion).
Am thinking a lightly aged cherry sunburst or bourbon burst with a darker cherry back.

The top is pretty generic plaintop grain.
Has a nice dark rosewood fretboard.
I have had a bunch of historics across the continuum from R9 AAAA monster flame tops to garden variety plaintop G0's. They all sound very good and there is something about a workhorse plaintop that I like. I am kind of in a plaintop mode right now.

Can't decide whether to send it off. I still would not have a lot of money invested in it total after a refin. I also realize one never gets what they invest in upgrades or mods when they go to resell.

Anyway, your thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, of course this is just my opinion so it might not be worth anything :) But, I don't like that "relic" job at all. I would send it for a refinish and do bourbon burst since you are ok with spending the money to do it. Since it's a great player and you are happy with it, why not be totally happy with the looks too?

penguinchit

Reaction score
Send it out. That relic spot above the neck pickup doesn't look natural. Same with the big one. Kind of a crappy relic job and that guitar deserves to look gorgeous.

Hatefulsob

Banned
Reaction score
Who does that to an R8? Does a burst finish cost more than a gold top? I'd do what ever is cheaper, after playing it for at least 6 months before I made any decision.

mdubya

Reaction score
Meh. Just play it. It doesn't look great, but refins are just as bad. IMHO.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Just to add some info.
The place I am communicating with is Badmojo Makeovers.
Lots of examples of his work.
It is a full strip and sanding and finish with nitro.
I like vintage washed cherry or bourbon bursts.

He will do slight aging (kind of similar to VOS), do a tint if you want, or do more aging/relicing if your want.
I like the lighter age type look.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Refinish. If it was a better relic, I'd say keep it the way it is. But just being honest, that's a completely unnatural butcher job of a relic. That guitar deserves better.

slug_maine

Reaction score
Nice plain top on that. I'd just have the top done, the rest don't look too bad from what I can see.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
I agree with others. Relicing doesnt look natural at all. I would refinish it to a nice bourbon burst

Lkdog

Reaction score
Without a doubt I would have it refinished. When you can acquire a guitar for less than market value and have coin left over to refinish it to your own specs, that is priceless.

To me, guitars are tools meant to be played, not financial investments. Think of this one as a blank canvas and have it refinished exactly the way you want it so that you are inspired to play it.

I did get a really nice deal from a forum brother.
It is a beast of a player. I play for fun and with friends.

Agree that I don't see guitars as investments and it will not kill me at all if I go to resell it down the road and do not get all of my money back.
If I play it and enjoy it while I have it then it is all good.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Refin

Too beautiful a top to have that existing finish/relic

Latest Threads