Poll on band participation......

Do you think all band members should help with set up/tear down?

• Hell yes, equal pay/equal work

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • Everyone except drummers bc they haul more shit

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Singer should handle the P.A. bc he doesn't have to haul shit else

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ratz Azz

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The singer should be the one humping the P.A. gear.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all help each other in my band... One is not able to sling so we cover for him... We have no issues.... We're all old farts...

Somebody mentioned singer with a tambourine... You don't need that kind of negativity in your life...

Waaaaay back, worked in a money band with my big bro (four & five skranger) Any tambourine was fair game for him... Could be going down an interstate and see a tambourine go sailing out the car/truck window... Funny as shit to me....

defcrew

Reaction score
May sound goofy but is amazing what a tambourine or maraca can add to a song....let alone congas. Like drums...and other instruments....folks sometimes don't know what not to play.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
For me it was always the same.
You pack your own shit 'cause it's "personal" and when you're done
you look around and ask how you can help.
And you take "orders" from whoever you're helping, 'cause it's their shit
and it's "personal" to them.
When all is packed and loaded, pay comes and everybody shake hands and split.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
The singer should be the one humping the P.A. gear.

He does, for the most part. He loads it, brings it, and sets it in place, as I mentioned before. He will also get started unplugging when we tear down, but most times, you can’t get to all of the cables to wind them until everyone else has all of their shit up and out of the way.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
May sound goofy but is amazing what a tambourine or maraca can add to a song....let alone congas. Like drums...and other instruments....folks sometimes don't know what not to play.

True.... In the other recent band I was the percussionist....with all kinds of racket makers, skin head LP congas & bongos, cymbals, blocks, chimes, and other ass't stuff to shake, scrape, rattle, etc..... and a stand mounted rubber rim tambourine... Played it with a stick or rod to be perfectly in time... I was rather fond of that tambourine. It's meter was perfect, unlike many other tambourines...

:cool2:

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
True.... In the other recent band I was the percussionist....with all kinds of racket makers, skin head LP congas & bongos, cymbals, blocks, chimes, and other ass't stuff to shake, scrape, rattle, etc..... and a stand mounted rubber rim tambourine... Played it with a stick or rod to be perfectly in time... I was rather fond of that tambourine. It's meter was perfect, unlike many other tambourines...

:cool2:
Nothing wrong with a skilled percussionist. Just don’t be passing that tambourine around like a tip jar. It’s much easier to shake than it is to play. Our percussionist always helped move pa gear and everything else FWIW.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s much easier to shake than it is to play. .

Truth. Most singers with a tambourine drive me nuts....

Mine was mounted and I played it with sticks or rods...

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
I carry my shit, you carry your shit, we carry our shit. If I get done first I help you, if you get done first you help me. If anybody has a problem with that gtfo you are an asshole and we don't need you. If a fine lady is ready to have a little fun, we will pack your stuff and keep half of your cut.

meatball

Reaction score
Cant speak for all bands but in both of my bands we all assist each other on the teardown and the set up ... At our age , I prefer the gig money go to a roadie than to me ,,, I would pay someone to set us up and break us down but we are just a cover bands so there isnt a a lot to disperse these days ... Plus I love being with all of them in both bans so its not an issue ... I have seen it happen when I was in my other bands when I was a lot younger ,, The Bass player and I set up everything an the lead guitar player showed up after it was all over and set himself up ... Ego is such a dirty word ,,,,

meatball

Reaction score
Near the end, we started realizing that there is no worthwhile money to be made gigging covers. We were, in fact, doing it for fun. And, it was no fun hauling PA gear and setting it all up. Then, dealing with all the levels, mix, monitors, yadda-yadda... what a PITA. I used to love doing it. After years & years, it got really old.

So, we started hiring out "sound". It was great. Best decision we ever made, other than dropping Stairway & Freebird from the set list - LOL

I just had to haul my guitars and amp, pedalboard and gig bag. We'd unload the drummer and that was it for me. Plop the amp and plug in my board. Easy-Peasy!

It was well worth the $200+/- for the sound guy. Especially at 2AM!!!
Preach on brother , I’ll say the prayer !!

NotScott

Reaction score
For me it was always the same.
You pack your own shit 'cause it's "personal" and when you're done
you look around and ask how you can help.
And you take "orders" from whoever you're helping, 'cause it's their shit
and it's "personal" to them.
When all is packed and loaded, pay comes and everybody shake hands and split.

This is how I have always done it when there is no road crew.

In my current band, the keyboard player owns and transports the PA. However, the singer's boyfriend and son help him setup and tear down while the rest of us setup.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I voted everyone but drummer. Here's why in our circumstance. Our drummer gets there early and gets the kit set up before anyone else arrives. He also carries a stage extension we built for our singer. With the kit already set we show up and we all cart the gear in. To his credit, he helps with this.
We get set up in about 20 minutes.
That's with lights, full p.a., mic'd amps, the whole deal. A couple of the guys help me load up at the house beforehand. Everybody participates in tear down and load out.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry my shit, you carry your shit, we carry our shit. If I get done first I help you, if you get done first you help me. If anybody has a problem with that gtfo you are an asshole and we don't need you. If a fine lady is ready to have a little fun, we will pack your stuff and keep half of your cut.

:cheers2:

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In every band I’ve been in, we all help out. Once the drummer tears all his shit down, it takes 5 minutes to run it out to his vehicle with everyone pitching in.

Same with the PA.

Once tore down, I can load out in two trips. I’m not going to stand there and watch my drummer or whoever make multiple trips to load out.

Generally, everyone leaves the gig at the same time. When all is done.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
we all chipped in but it was anything but equal at times. I usually wound up taking down the PA somehow....but there were times everyone helped load up, even shit which wasn't theirs, and that was nice, but I noticed it totally depended on the membership at the time. We had some members over the years who refused so, been there done that. It's these petty stupid issues found in bands which was another reason why I decided to retire from it.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years back, there were a couple times that after last set and my stuff packed and out, I have grabbed a cup of coffee and sat on my big ass, having a smoke, waiting on a couple of others to pull their head out of their ass. I was KB player in that band. I could open my Calzones and drop my keys in em, fold the vertical stand, close my rack, put my Calzones and monitors on top of it and roll it all out, and be done with 'mine' in just a few minutes... Sit down and enjoy a cup or two of coffee, a smoke or two, and look at the stage and there are still farkin amp lights on and a guitar or two still on a stand...and not a damn soul on stage doing shit....

We've all been there a time or two... That calls for a come to jeebus meeting...

You work too and I'll help you with anything...
You thumb-ass when others are working, you ain't gonna be there much longer...
I refuse to work with dipshits. Too old and cranky for that...

Rotorhead

Reaction score
If people wont help with the PA, lights and other things not associated with their specific stuff, don't let them mic up to the PA. Fuck em.

NotScott

Reaction score
I was thinking about this topic last night.

My band was off so my drummer (who is also a killer guitar player) was playing guitar at this tiny hole in the wall that couldn't possibly hold more than 100 people. The Mrs. and I drove over to support him because that is what the musicians in my area do. I walk in the place and see John's small guitar setup, a small drum set and then an honest to goodness Hammond B3 WITH a real, full size Leslie!

At first, I thought it was house gear because nobody without a road crew would haul those beasts around. Wrong! The keyboard player insists on using them at all his gigs and even had a winch installed in his van to help load it in and out of gigs. I asked John if he gets paid extra for moving the Hammond and Leslie. He just smiled and said, "It's a living.":laugh2:

Latest Threads