Poll on band participation......

Do you think all band members should help with set up/tear down?

• Hell yes, equal pay/equal work

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • Everyone except drummers bc they haul more shit

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Singer should handle the P.A. bc he doesn't have to haul shit else

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ratz Azz

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

freebyrd 69

Reaction score

So I see we have a drummer here on MLP.....I knew there was at least ONE of you guys here! LOL

Do you think all band members should help with set up/tear down?

Edit
This poll will close on Jan 13, 2019 at 6:53 PM.
  1. *
    Hell yes, equal pay/equal work
    15 vote(s)
    78.9%

2. Everyone except drummers bc they haul more shit
    1 vote(s)
    5.3%

3. Singer should handle the P.A. bc he doesn't have to haul shit else
    1 vote(s)
    5.3%

4. Ratz Azz
    2 vote(s)
    10.5%

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
We all work until the work is complete on both ends. If we have our own stuff set up and the drummer is still working on his kit, we help somebody else until we are all done. That includes helping the drummer haul his kit in and out.

It's called a "band" and not "individuals."

Pappy58

Reaction score
I owned all the PA gear and typically supplied two guitar amps for each gig. I also supplied the truck to haul it all in. Usually I would load/unload the truck on the near and far end, sometimes dragging the wife over to storage to help. At the gig, I would take in my amp and personal gear and leave it to the others to unload the truck and then load it back up after. But I was also the sound man, so once it was all in place, I wired and setup the sound. I never charged anyone in the band for use of the gear, and as I got older and sicker they were always willing to do more. Finally my illness forced me to retire from playing early last summer. They have replaced me and still have access to my gear, but it will all be put up for sale this year.

It was far from an equitable arrangement, but two of our guy's who were 30+ year brothers really needed the extra income, so I was loathe to hit them up for expenses. In the end I have no regrets. But I never had anyone get belligerent or be unappreciative.

:cheers2:

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
So, this became a HUGE issue last gig.....what say you guys? Drummer claims he has to haul the most shit, so he shouldn't participate in set up OR tear down, he has enough to do. Bass player...well, he just doesn't give a f#ck. Follows me around with his hand out (literally) at the last gig, until we get paid, and then he splits. I bought our whole P.A. system (almost 5k) when we started the band, and took all of the money from ONE gig to cover the drummers monitor which I didn't have the funds for at the time. Otherwise, the pay is split evenly amongst the band. So.......

Drums aren’t heavy like an amp. Even a combo can be a beast to haul it.
I can’t say I’ve ever been in a band where someone didn’t pitch in. Everyone would take care of packing up and staging their own gear for the load out, then start rolling the cables and snakes for the PA, packing mics and stands, then getting the horns off the bins and getting the hand trucks under the bins and getting them into the truck. We’d have our girlfriends sit by the staged gear to keep on eye on it while we loaded up.
Everyone stayed busy as we wanted to get that truck loaded so we could go to our practice space and unpack it again.
I think the only time someone wouldn’t help is when they were sick and even then they took care of their own gear.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Drums aren’t heavy like an amp. Even a combo can be a beast to haul it.
I can’t say I’ve ever been in a band where someone didn’t pitch in. Everyone would take care of packing up and staging their own gear for the load out, then start rolling the cables and snakes for the PA, packing mics and stands, then getting the horns off the bins and getting the hand trucks under the bins and getting them into the truck. We’d have our girlfriends sit by the staged gear to keep on eye on it while we loaded up.
Everyone stayed busy as we wanted to get that truck loaded so we could go to our practice space and unpack it again.
I think the only time someone wouldn’t help is when they were sick and even then they took care of their own gear.

The year before last, I played a gig the day my step-sister passed away. When I got to the gig, I was obviously physically and emotionally spent already. They offered me a free pass at the end, and that is the only time I have been the first one to leave the gig....and I still felt bad about THAT. I understand if someone is under the weather, or there is some other extenuating circumstance, otherwise, I don't know how a band member can justify leaving with the cash when there is work to be done. In hindsight, I should have just told them nobody gets paid until all the shit is loaded. I have a feeling that would have resulted in the same ending, but at least it wouldn't have gotten physical. I regret that part, but, I wasn't the one who initiated it either.

Frogfur

Reaction score
We play for free, we all get NOTHING! I have "admirers" help us load up. I carry my own amp+gits, I have Rob Halford ,<giving peace sign...drummer far right> mop my brow......hold tuner...give me cough drops....
48374662_10157338918968465_4408906383156576256_n.jpg

We buy endless drinks, never a problem with load up. My drummer is "manic" he runs in circles and LOVES loading his drums, bassist is comatose by

We help "load" him into the car. You can get a contact buzz near FEZZ cars= one big love-fest .............
I wanna bobble head of your drummer based on that photo.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sucks about pa ownership is the fact you actually have to move it two extra times. Before, into the rig and once again after the gig.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
The year before last, I played a gig the day my step-sister passed away. When I got to the gig, I was obviously physically and emotionally spent already. They offered me a free pass at the end, and that is the only time I have been the first one to leave the gig....and I still felt bad about THAT. I understand if someone is under the weather, or there is some other extenuating circumstance, otherwise, I don't know how a band member can justify leaving with the cash when there is work to be done. In hindsight, I should have just told them nobody gets paid until all the shit is loaded. I have a feeling that would have resulted in the same ending, but at least it wouldn't have gotten physical. I regret that part, but, I wasn't the one who initiated it either.

We never passed out the cash until we hit the all-night diner, that’s where we often decided to roll it back into the gear fund or split it. After expenses like the truck and anything we may have rented for the show. Maybe it was the dream of “making it” that kept everyone thinking past the gig.

Crotch

Cocaine Bear
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I haul more shit for my friends band than they do :dunno:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I don't think that the singer should have to do anything, because he doesn't have any gear...

Tone deaf

Reaction score
In my social circles (hunting, fishing, camping, volunteering, youth sports, etc.) it is definitely not acceptable to leave before everything is finished. If your sh*t is taken care of, you keep moving your ass until everyone else's is.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I don't think that the singer should have to do anything, because he doesn't have any gear...

In our bands the singer often unplugged the monitors, mics and cables and started getting them ready for packing. If he finished with that he learned how to help the drummer.
If everyone pitched in breaking down and loading up went pretty fast.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell, we help out Keyboard player move his gear after practice.

No one leaves a gig until everything is loaded, everyone is broken down. Cash gets split at the diner.....never an issue.

defcrew

Reaction score
Bands typically try to be communistic or purely democratic and, of course, it never works. The first is the parasites being carried by the beasts of burden and the second is mob rule no matter the personal investment. Should everyone help? Yes. Should the person who supplies the PA or books the gigs get a bigger cut? Yes. Will a band ever get off the ground let alone survive under these "draconian" conditions? No. The problem is that the piece of pie is generally too small to slice up fairly....and most musicians can't tell time.

Rob H.

Reaction score
We’re all pretty self sufficient. The drummer or I will help the bassist with his cab. The bass player and I help grab drum stuff once our stuff is done.

I usually have enough of my own stuff to take care of before anyone needs any help though. 2-3 guitars, 20watt tube combo, 2 or 3 pedal boards. Guitar stands, sometimes a mic stand. Cables galore. Extension cords. By the time I’m done so are they.

Our last drummer used to get pissed off at me for not helping him. He usually had a couple people helping him already so I’d be off doing my own thing after getting my stuff in or out. He was much happier when he switched to vocals in a different band.

I’ve never seen someone cry so much about carrying his own drums and told him as much. Good guy though, we’re still friends.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Near the end, we started realizing that there is no worthwhile money to be made gigging covers. We were, in fact, doing it for fun. And, it was no fun hauling PA gear and setting it all up. Then, dealing with all the levels, mix, monitors, yadda-yadda... what a PITA. I used to love doing it. After years & years, it got really old.

So, we started hiring out "sound". It was great. Best decision we ever made, other than dropping Stairway & Freebird from the set list - LOL

I just had to haul my guitars and amp, pedalboard and gig bag. We'd unload the drummer and that was it for me. Plop the amp and plug in my board. Easy-Peasy!

It was well worth the $200+/- for the sound guy. Especially at 2AM!!!

defcrew

Reaction score
They are almost as bad as horn players. I've bought a million geets, amps, cords, pedals, speakers, etc. The two horn players I worked with were both killer and well over the age of 40. Both played the same sax their parents bought them in Junior High band. When they were feeling expansive they might bring their own cord, mic and stand. I will say that they both helped load in and out....and I miss them both. RIP

Latest Threads