Poll - Negative Comments in a New Guitar Day Thread? Good/Bad/or Rats Azz

Is it OK to post negative comments in a Happy New Guitar Day Thread?

• Total voters

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Why pee on someone's parade? Don't we have enough shallow insensitive assholes in the world?

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's classless, with one exception: There is a legitimate issue visible in the photographs that may have been missed by the buyer like a sign of illegitimacy or structural damage. If they don't know it's better they find out now when they can get a return than discover it themselves later on.

The worst is people saying "You paid too much."
Even then, wouldn't a PM be a better venue, UNLESS we are talking counterfeit issues.

babalooga

Reaction score
If you don't like the HNGD don't look, move on. My dear old dad always told me " opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, not that yours is better than mine". Jeez I miss that man.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
So this came up recently in a New Guitar Day Thread.

Is it appropriate to post negative comments (about the guitar or the run) in the member's Happy New Guitar Day Thread?

Or, because its the internet is everything subject to comment good and bad?

Negative comments in a HNGD thread has always been a bit of a pet peeve or mine. In my small minded and humble opinion, I think a HNGD Thread is solely for the member to show off their newest toy as well as their joy in having found it. Its also an opportunity for others to live vicariously through the OP and share in the joy and excitement of that magical moment when you first get your newest baby.

If the OP of the HNGD thread asks for comments or has questions about the guitar, then they open the door. Otherwise I think its poor form to post negative comments in someone's celebratory post.

If you have issues or don't like a guitar or a particular run of guitars, then start your own thread about it, PM the OP, or bite your tongue and move on.

What do you guys think.
I would not limit this just for NGD threads....

Laggspike

Reaction score
when i see a NGD, i usely get happy!

unless its a chibson bought for the real deal's price etc, then i just get sad etc..

even tho i rarely comment on a NGD thread, trust me, im there drooling on whatever guitar it is haha

slapshot

Reaction score
Id rather someone say my new guitar looks like hammered shit than "congrats"
But that's a personal issue I have with the word.
It irks me no end .....

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
The most I think is acceptable would be a "not my thing, but congrats and enjoy!"
Anything more is just unnecessary. The only things that matters is if the purchaser like it. If you don't then don't worry, you didn't buy it.

NRBQ

Reaction score
The most I think is acceptable would be a "not my thing, but congrats and enjoy!"
Anything more is just unnecessary. The only things that matters is if the purchaser like it. If you don't then don't worry, you didn't buy it.

There's absolutely no reason to say "it's not my thing" because it's not your guitar, just say good things or STFU about it. That's just me thought, nothing personal.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
There isn't really a reason to comment if it's not your thing.

No important stuff would ever get done if I felt compelled to respond to every cat pic, LOL!

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Just picked this up for $800!...and he threw the amp in for free!

It's a little boxy sounding, but for $800 I couldn't pass it up!

Watcha y'all think?

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
I recently posted in a NGD thread. As a matter of fact here is the thread

I didn't bash the fact the guy had bought a new guitar but I did share my personal experience with the model he bought. I also added a few things that were terrific.

Out of line? I dunno. After reading this thread perhaps I shouldn't have said a word. <shrug>

wwit

Reaction score
Pissing on someone's NGD is really a douche move. Worst I might say is 'pics or it didn't happen'. Most of time it was with good natured intent implied.

I've gotten to the point where I know which forums its cool to start a NGD and which ones to avoid. But even that changes as the individual community changes over time.

Worst offence against me, was after doing a Squire upgrade thread years ago on another forum. It was just a winter project build for fun and nothing else to show myself, just how much better I could make a really cheap MIC with bolt on hardware and US pickups and controls. One particular knucklehead with a huge post count shit all over the thread. Even though I made no comparisons to a MIA Fender, he somehow got himself convinced that was my only intent and nitpicked every detail and was completely nasty in doing so. To the point where many other forum guys started defending me and what I was doing.

But being an avid forum reader and having other interests besides guitars as a hobby. The absolute worst forum communities for bringing out the cruel would be anything to do with Remote Control (RC) stuff. Mostly the car and truck RC'ers who by nature are typically teenage kids. Kids on the internet today have ZERO filter and let loose with some of the most vile forms of language know to mankind. They are far worse ball busters then any music or guitar forum member than I've ever seen.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Just picked this up for $800!...and he threw the amp in for free!

It's a little boxy sounding, but for $800 I couldn't pass it up!

Watcha y'all think?

I'm loving the flame you can see on the sides ... must be a sweet piece of cardboard.

Latest Threads