Which LP Should I keep?!

• 2016 Traditional Honeyburst

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • 2020 Standard Gold Top

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters

Gridlock

Reaction score
I voted Traditional. I love Traditional’s over older Standard’s for their big 50’s necks, PAF’s, and hand-wiring (a few that I have owned have had one-piece backs), but the new 50’s neck Goldtop makes for a very tough decision.

Congratulations and good choice.

Last edited:

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! It is all wonky. Additionally there is a crack in teh finish where the neck meets the body!

The guitar was $1700, but then add in tax and shipping at it came to $1950. Probably a little higher, but realistically, for me - the 0% made it easier to stomach. Right now - honestly the necks feel the same, but the Trad seems to speak to me more. I think given the issues with the Goldtop (like the crack in the finish) and the fact that Trad just sings to me, I think I will keep it. Perhaps the goldtop on Monday ($2000) which is a 2019 Standard will speak to me, but so far, this Trad is the one - and I have been through a LOT of Les Pauls this past week!
Got pics of the crack ?

PauloQS

Reaction score
Personally I would have kept the Standard ‘50s, but based on your original post, I think the 2016 Traditional was the better pick for you.

sonar1

Reaction score
Not real familiar with the 2016 version of a Traditional,
but generally like the Pro versions for the Push/pull switches.
My 2020 Trad ProV has lotsa switch possibilities.
I voted Trad, but I dunno, ‘50’s necks are pretty nice!

This is too hard. Thinking wears me out,

Reaction score
Not real familiar with the 2016 version of a Traditional,
but generally like the Pro versions for the Push/pull switches.
My 2020 Trad ProV has lotsa switch possibilities.
I voted Trad, but I dunno, ‘50’s necks are pretty nice!

This is too hard. Thinking wears me out,
Imagine how I feel. This one showed up now... :(

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, send the gold top back... Keep the Trad and the HCSB Standard. Tell your wife you love her..... and the Trad so you must have both. :rofl:

Reaction score
Ok, send the gold top back... Keep the Trad and the HCSB Standard. Tell your wife you love her..... and the Trad so you must have both. :rofl:
That is the likely scenario here. I love that 16' a lot. But the HCSB is amazing. I owe Guitar Center a thanks here.....I know a lot aren't a fan of them, and I'm not either, but the store here took care of me. I had decided to return the gold top due to the issues, mainly the crack in the finish. I was disappointed because GC told me there likely wouldn't be another GT until July. But since there wasn't any, I'd have to return the guitar to get a different color, which meant I'd lose the financing - which honestly is the only way it worked for me. I went to return it to the store, and decided to tell the manager about it - and how I was bummed. He said "Well heck, I can take care of you" and worked it out for me. He showed me the floor model HCSB and it wasn't good at all, and he said "I've got one more in the back, it's never been opened - and it came straight from Gibson - so it's got to be as perfect as they'll let leave" - turns out it was this guitar, 100% sealed - and my jaw about dropped when I saw it.

Edit; I know it's the wrong thread, but truthfully the HCSB sounds better than the Gold Top did (hopefully you all catch that reference!)

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the likely scenario here. I love that 16' a lot. But the HCSB is amazing. I owe Guitar Center a thanks here.....I know a lot aren't a fan of them, and I'm not either, but the store here took care of me. I had decided to return the gold top due to the issues, mainly the crack in the finish. I was disappointed because GC told me there likely wouldn't be another GT until July. But since there wasn't any, I'd have to return the guitar to get a different color, which meant I'd lose the financing - which honestly is the only way it worked for me. I went to return it to the store, and decided to tell the manager about it - and how I was bummed. He said "Well heck, I can take care of you" and worked it out for me. He showed me the floor model HCSB and it wasn't good at all, and he said "I've got one more in the back, it's never been opened - and it came straight from Gibson - so it's got to be as perfect as they'll let leave" - turns out it was this guitar, 100% sealed - and my jaw about dropped when I saw it.

Edit; I know it's the wrong thread, but truthfully the HCSB sounds better than the Gold Top did (hopefully you all catch that reference!)
Nice, Glad that worked out.... You got a lovely pair of LP's. :cheers:

jskidder

Reaction score
It's silly to get hung up on the Traditional not being a Standard. Mainly because the new 2019-current Standards are essentially the old Traditional in terms of spec (while the new Modern is basically what used to be the Standard). The retail price on that Traditional was even actually higher than retail on a brand new Standard today.

If it were me I'd keep the Traditional. I really like the top, and I think it's a much better value than the Standard based on what you paid. Anyone who is paying full $2499 retail on a new Standard is getting ripped off. Even with the current shortage, you should easily be getting $200 off MAP on them.

NJDevil

Reaction score
I love that Traditional so that is the keeper. I love my '14 Traditional in Tobacco burst and the chunky neck and '59 pickups make this my #1.........OK, it is tied with my SRV Strat for #1 but both get more play than my Gretsch Setzer Black Phoenix and I play the heck of that baby!

Enjoy that Traditional!

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's silly to get hung up on the Traditional not being a Standard. Mainly because the new 2019-current Standards are essentially the old Traditional in terms of spec (while the new Modern is basically what used to be the Standard). The retail price on that Traditional was even actually higher than retail on a brand new Standard today.

If it were me I'd keep the Traditional. I really like the top, and I think it's a much better value than the Standard based on what you paid. Anyone who is paying full $2499 retail on a new Standard is getting ripped off. Even with the current shortage, you should easily be getting $200 off MAP on them.
Only place that has given me a small discount on new guitars is wildwood.... I don't think what you say about people getting "ripped off" paying MAP is accurate whatsoever from my experience.

speyfly

Reaction score
I've had a great rep @ Sweetwater for the last 10 or so years. When I call he gives me the bottom line in the beginning so no haggling. $300 off MSRP on a Classic LP order a couple of weeks ago, relationships matter! He'll get me a GT is they do a special run, great guy!

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
All things being equal, I like the look of the gold top better. But I'd recommend keeping the one that plays and sounds better. If there's a difference.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
I've had a great rep @ Sweetwater for the last 10 or so years. When I call he gives me the bottom line in the beginning so no haggling. $300 off MSRP on a Classic LP order a couple of weeks ago, relationships matter! He'll get me a GT is they do a special run, great guy!
Lucky you. I never got a good deal from Sweetwater. I was told their business model is in the service they provide and a personal rep who will be attentive to your needs. All that means to me is I get random emails and phone calls from a guy claiming he's my rep, giving me his resume while asking if I need expert help getting a rig together and how was my weekend. No thanks. Just give me a great price and never speak to me again is the way to keep me coming back.

Latest Threads