POLL: Help me decide! Which LP!

Which LP Should I keep?!

• 2016 Traditional Honeyburst

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • 2020 Standard Gold Top

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Okay - I have narrowed it down to potentially two Les Pauls - and while I do have the wife's blessing to keep both, after also purchasing a 1985 JCM800, I think getting one Les Paul is good enough. However, the two I have selected, I am at odds with. There is a "mystery" 3rd choice, but its a 2019 Gold Top Standard that arrives on Monday, and I think it'll be just like the 2020 here!

So which one should I keep?

Here's a 2016 Traditional. It sounds great. I love the pickups in this one. The high strings really ring out. I enjoy the honey burst finish. I think it's subtle, but just enough to notice the small flame in it. The downside is - is it's not a "standard" and while I shouldn't care about that, for some reason it is a small hangup for me. It probably shouldn't be. The other "downside" to this guitar, is it was purchased used from Guitar Center. Which means its 0% for 6 months. Not too bad. It was right around $2000 after tax/shipping.

Next is the 2020 Standard 50s Gold Top. This arrived brand new today. It only has minor imperfections, nothing over the top. Few scratches, couple odd dents, but all in all, not bad. It plays great, the guitar is setup very nice from the factory, with a very low action. I don't like the pickups on this model, as the high strings don't seem to separate themselves from the low strings. The high strings don't seem to cut in and really make themselves heard. The huge bonus here is that since this was brand new, and just purchased through Guitar Center as well, I got 0% for 48 months. This was $2700 after tax/shipping.

Kothas

Reaction score
I like the 2016 but the standard with assymetrical neck rocks. I bought 2 2016's knowing they would quit making that design. I have traditionals as well. Something special about those neck for sure. You can tell them from the traditional as they have copper colored knobs

simon connor

Reaction score
I thought a Traditional pretty much was a Standard, just built with a solid mahogany body - so it's like a Standard was before they started using weight relief. It's a Traditional Standard, as opposed to a modern one. I could be wrong, though.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gold Top is the classic. It's a Standard. Use the proceeds from the sale of the other guitar to buy the pickups that fit your playing perfectly.

I have 5 LP's. 3 already have new pickups. The other 2 will by summer.

Caveat: Are they equally playable for you, neck-wise.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are awesome, if she’ll let you keep both and money isn’t going to be a concern, do it! Oh, and treat your wife to something, she sounds wonderful.
the asymmetrical neck is it thinner on the lower edge of the neck looking down from playing position? As on my thin necked guitar I have noticed the joint where my index finger joins the hand has a pressure point there I was wondering about getting the ‘shoulder’ removed on that lower edge. Fat necks don’t cause the same pressure on that joint, wierd huh?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Personally I think they're both too much but if I had to pick one it would be the 2016.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep the traditional.... put a standard truss rod cover on it because a new 19/20 standard is essentially just a traditional anyway and save 700 bucks.

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - +1 for the Trad but you must decide which neck profile you prefer...pickups can always be changed to suit. Also, frankly, I think you paid too much for a used 2016 Trad....but perhaps that's a function of the current supply/demand climate and the cost of deferred payments vs paying in-full upfront. I've almost always been able to negotiate 10-15% off asking price (once in 2016, I got 25% off retail on a new guitar) by paying in-full upfront and negotiating between 2 different vendors....however, no judgement...you gotta do what you gotta do. BTW....you're 'Golden' in the wife department!! She sounds like a 'keeper'!! You won the lottery there!!! Good luck deciding...

Kothas

Reaction score
Looking at what's available you can't get anywhere near a flame top with current offerings unless you want to advertise for a certain guitarist. The honeyburst wasn't offered in 16 unless it was a triad. 2017 the standard had honeyburst with the compound radius neck or a triad. If I had to choose despite I'd definately go with a good matched flame in honeyburst. And....... I'm always looking for a 17 standard in honeyburst with compound radius.
They will hold value for years.
My only finding......
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2017 Honey Burst https://reverb.com/item/38925335-gibson-les-paul-standard-2017-honey-burst?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=38925335

Last edited:
Reaction score
The neck pickup ring on the gold top is jacked up.... :shock:
Yes! It is all wonky. Additionally there is a crack in teh finish where the neck meets the body!

OP - +1 for the Trad but you must decide which neck profile you prefer...pickups can always be changed to suit. Also, frankly, I think you paid too much for a used 2016 Trad....but perhaps that's a function of the current supply/demand climate and the cost of deferred payments vs paying in-full upfront. I've almost always been able to negotiate 10-15% off asking price (once in 2016, I got 25% off retail on a new guitar) by paying in-full upfront and negotiating between 2 different vendors....however, no judgement...you gotta do what you gotta do. BTW....you're 'Golden' in the wife department!! She sounds like a 'keeper'!! You won the lottery there!!! Good luck deciding...
The guitar was $1700, but then add in tax and shipping at it came to $1950. Probably a little higher, but realistically, for me - the 0% made it easier to stomach. Right now - honestly the necks feel the same, but the Trad seems to speak to me more. I think given the issues with the Goldtop (like the crack in the finish) and the fact that Trad just sings to me, I think I will keep it. Perhaps the goldtop on Monday ($2000) which is a 2019 Standard will speak to me, but so far, this Trad is the one - and I have been through a LOT of Les Pauls this past week!

Latest Threads