POLL - Do you like artificially aged guitars

Which do you prefer.

• No - I like my guiatsr to age on their own time

Votes: 116 46.6%
  • Yes - I'd buy an aged guitar (not including VOS)

Votes: 46 18.5%
  • Yes - I'd pay to have mine professionally aged too.

Votes: 34 13.7%
  • No real preference either way

Votes: 53 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KenG

Reaction score
Again to explain for those who are a little less quick on the draw. This isn't a debate or asking which is better or whether or not it's worth it, that has been done. This is simply Yes or No and since it's an opinion poll the results only reflect the current membership & only at this particular time.

To the person who asked what I'd do with the information, well when someone makes a blanket statement about the prefernce of the members, I 'd have stats to either back it up or knock it down.

RUFFCUT

Reaction score
I like the look of aged guitars, but I also like the feel (broken in) as well. And no, I am not a working musician. I'm a recreational one so achieving the wear naturally is not feasible for me. Aging is a way to speed the process. I'll add my own dents, dings and sweat, have a more comfortable player and worry less in the process...JMTC

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
On a side note, I like taking my naturally aged vintage instruments and getting them re-fin'd like brand new.

Call be crazy.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LEAVE YOUR DAMN GUITARS ALONE. IF ITS OLD, ITS OLD, IF IT AINT, IT AINT. "Reliced" was just a word that some dumb ass with a guitar for sale that was beat to shit made up..... sadly, it caught on and spread like herpes.

So I take it you've never bought a pair stone washed jeans in your life and instead always go for the stiff-as-a-board un-faded jeans? Certainly that must be the case because anybody who buys pre-faded jeans is a just a "poser".

945126-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

ddroz60lp

Reaction score
If it is going to be done, it has to be done right.Furthermore, the idea of sending a guitar to a place like Historic Makeovers and spending big money to have them strip,refinish, then age your guitar is mind boggling to me.On the other hand, I have not seen one done up close. Nor have I played one. I might have a different opinion if I had one in my hands. Like Riv said, I would not pay a premium for a guitar with this done. If it had all the attributes I like and the relic job looked authentic,it would not keep me from buying.

ed1996

Reaction score
I appreciate the art of making a guitar look old, but in the end, it's fake.

Pinkie

Reaction score
I appreciate the art of making a guitar look old, but in the end, it's fake.

If its done well how would you know?
I have seen some where you couldn't tell.
Not my thing but if you like it fine.

ed1996

Reaction score
I just don't like fake things, even if they look real.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just don't like fake things, even if they look real.

It's not a point of fake. It's a point of have the vibe of an old, well played guitar. Fake is a Gibsung. Relic is a work of art if done right.

redgreed

Reaction score
thats like asking if you like monoploy money instead of actual money.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
You're bordering on the dissrespectfull area I asked not be posted! If you don't believe in it fine but your statement goes beyond that in your wording. This poll isn't to start a flame war but simply get a number/percentage of how many MLPers like/dislike the idea/process. It's not supposes to be emotional or try to sway people to one side or the other.:slash:

Let's make an abortion poll and keep it void of passions.
Guitar polls invite passions.

As others have said, if it is included in the price and I like the guitar, fine. But I wouldn't give anyone money to age a guitar.
Riv also pointed to image. I think the way you dress for your gig does far more for you image than the guitar you are playing.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
can we stop these kinds of threads 'cause the answers and arguments are all pretty predictable and pointless.

KenG

Reaction score
can we stop these kinds of threads 'cause the answers and arguments are all pretty predictable and pointless.

If you actually read my post I didn't invite discussions or arguments on the subject, nor did I make any controversial statements inviting people to defend their point of view. I simply asked if people are for or against. It doesn't get much simpler than that. If you can't ask these kinds of questions what the f88k is the purpose of a forum anyway?:slash:

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
I understand hat you were trying to do but anything related to this topic allways ends in the same arguement and we've heard it all before.

andreww

Reaction score
I get what guys are saying about wanting guitars to age naturally, but doesn't the use of poly finishes on newer guitars kind of make that impossible? If you like that checked 59 burst look, why not age it manually???

dangeneau

Reaction score
I have 5 main guitars:

2006 ES-335 like new
1979 Standard Les Paul, worn a little with a refin top
1969 Vintage Walnut Flying V, naturaly reliced
2009 John Cruz Masterbuilt 51 Nocaster, heavy relic
2006 Jimmy Page Les Paul reliced by Historic Makeovers

It is a good sample of new, little aged, reliced by custom shop, aftermarket reliced and naturaly reliced.

I like very much playing an old worn instrument like the Flying V. It's a great feeling. And it is no less fun to play the Nocaster and the JPP.

So my personal conclusion is: the relic might be fake, but the feeling is still true as far as the job is well done, by an expert or by a very talented amateur. Is it worth the extra money? Well, it all depends, if I did not have the money, I would not have paid an extra for it. But I had the money and the feeling is worth it, for me. I understand that would not be the same with someone else, it's very personal in the end.

lespaulbluesbreaker

Reaction score
I think if they're done well they can look really cool. It's just not for me though. I plan on keeping my guitars a long while and want them to age naturally. I don't mind haveing a re-finish though with the right dyes and nitro so maybe I'm being a bit hypocrytical?

Latest Threads