POLL - Do you like artificially aged guitars

Which do you prefer.

• No - I like my guiatsr to age on their own time

Votes: 116 46.6%
  • Yes - I'd buy an aged guitar (not including VOS)

Votes: 46 18.5%
  • Yes - I'd pay to have mine professionally aged too.

Votes: 34 13.7%
  • No real preference either way

Votes: 53 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KenG

Reaction score
OK. This poll is to see how many people in MLP favour the "artistically aged" Guitar vs a new or naturally aged guitar. This does not include Gibson VOS but does include Murphy aged or CS aged models. Not meant to offend anyones' preference, just a simple do you or don't you or don't care so I can see how the numbers fall.
Please no bashing or dissrespecting other peoples' choices.
Cheers

EDIT: Even if you don't want to post please cast a vote to show your opinion. As I mention later on this is not meant to sway peoples opinions or cause emotional reactions. It's purely a survey not a debate.

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
Quick question....will the aging help me achieve slashtone quicker?

If so then bring on the shoe polish.

River

Reaction score
I voted "no preference", as I'd buy an authentic-looking aged guitar just as quickly as I'd buy a naturally aged guitar. It'd have to be so well done I couldn't really tell the difference, and I would NOT pay a premium for it.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes - I'd buy an aged guitar (not including VOS)
Yes - I'd pay to have mine professionally aged too.

InfiniteeZ

Reaction score
No Preference-

If it sounds good and I like the way it looks bring it on

HRC

Reaction score
I prefer to play my guitars. Now if I was buying one used that was artificially aged, it looked good and was being sold at less than market value due to the butchering I'd buy it if it played and sounded good. :D

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
I like 'em, no biggie. Haven't bought a new guitar in ages...to expensive in a shop these days. :D

BB

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
and I would NOT pay a premium for it.

You get what you pay for. We've seen more of our fair share of lame relic guitars and lame relic parts, but what your paying a premium for is the talent to do the job right...

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hell, I'd OVER pay.

Cuz dats how I roll!

joff

Reaction score
I would buy a 'Signature' guitar that is 'aged' to look like the Artists' original guitar...but i would not buy a regular guitar that has been 'aged'...and i do own a Custom Shop Fender 'Relic' which in hindsight i should have bought the NOS version.

7gtop

Reaction score
All seven o me guits is "use-d" ..... :wave:

... If she sounds right 'n feels tight ..... :applause:

What'eva condition .
.... She's mine .

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would absolutely love to have this one made over.

I just don't thing I could go without it for six or more months.

578923_4167663519633_1216178018_n.jpg

River

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. We've seen more of our fair share of lame relic guitars and lame relic parts, but what your paying a premium for is the talent to do the job right...
Please don't misunderstand me. I have the utmost respect for a quality aging job, and I've seen some on your site that are :wow:.

All I'm saying is that I would not pay for that service, first-hand or used. I've no judgement against anyone who will, would, does or has. It's just not something I'm willing to put in the budget.

River

Reaction score
We sat in the 15th row when I saw Steve Miller at Red Rocks. That's not close enough to see how many wraps he had on his tuning pegs, but it's close enough to tell a heavily-worn guitar from a pristine one. It's WAY more than close enough to the giant flatscreen to...tell how many wraps he had.

He's a gear and tone freak and went through more than a dozen guitars. Two of them were beautiful red-burst Les Pauls. I beamed that his tastes in same were so similar to mine (yeah, that's silly but I'd had a couple of frosties) - they both looked like dead ringers for my R8. One was obviously an R8 or R9. The other was "obviously" a vintage 'Burst. I mean, he's Steve Fvcking Miller, right?

But no, they were both recent-year R9s. One gloss, the other "aged". They sounded identical through his Dr. Z, near as I could tell, but he chose one for certain songs and the other for other songs. On a whim? Not bloody likely. He's Steve Fvcking Miller.

I doubt he paid one thin dime for either guitar, but playing in front of an audience is performing (duh), and image counts. It matters not one twit what one of us would think of the aging job on the R9 with our reading glasses on and the guitar on the kitchen counter. What matters is the image it portrays.

My image is best portrayed by a pristine '92 Standard in Natural. That's just how it is.

Latest Threads