Politically incorrect custom guitars/gear

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Anybody have any custom gear or parts or things in general that the majority of the public would frown upon? Weather it be rebel flags, swastikas, or even a sticker for your favorite candidate. KEEP THINGS UNPOLITICAL PLEASE I JUST WANT SOME INSPIRATION FROM UNIQUE SOURCES

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Don’t want this taken down just want some inspiration is all

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The forum is small and moderated.
The web is big and not moderated so much.
That means this will be watched and assured to not go out of hand right? Or is it blocked from reply’s. I’ve only been suspended once and since then avoid controversial arguments so I don’t really know what would be considered unacceptable in terms relating to moderators. It’s ok but as long as nothing political or idiotic arguments get involved? Against the policy of the website I mean?

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That means this will be watched and assured to not go out of hand right? Or is it blocked from reply’s. I’ve only been suspended once and since then avoid controversial arguments so I don’t really know what would be considered unacceptable in terms relating to moderators. It’s ok but as long as nothing political or idiotic arguments get involved? Against the policy of the website I mean?
I'm not concerned with myself being offended, I'm too old for that. It's just that images speak as loud or louder than words, is all.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I'm not concerned with myself being offended, I'm too old for that. It's just that images speak as loud or louder than words, is all.
Oh ok. I mainly meant things like a strat with an angled headstock or a les Paul with a Floyd rose maybe an occasional rebel flag finish or custom painted case. What would be UNaccaptable?

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. I mainly meant things like a strat with an angled headstock or a les Paul with a Floyd rose maybe an occasional rebel flag finish or custom painted case. What would be UNaccaptable?
What you mentioned in your OP was swastikas, rebel flags and stickers of favorite candidates. Images of any of those are not going to fly. Unpopular mods to a guitar, go for it! I have a Squier Strat with a P-90 and a Melody Maker with a lipstick tube, not really Top Ten Mods :D

Davey Rock

Reaction score
What you mentioned in your OP was swastikas, rebel flags and stickers of favorite candidates. Images of any of those are not going to fly. Unpopular mods to a guitar, go for it! I have a Squier Strat with a P-90 and a Melody Maker with a lipstick tube, not really Top Ten Mods :D
Definitely never heard of a melody maker with a lipstick tube. Always thought those looked beautiful in a strat with either an engraved pick guard or tooled leather pick guard. I have a 2008 epi les Paul custom that I have stripped from ebony to ebony wood stain (under a black finish?) the back was dark brown the neck was light brown, sanded a v shape on the back of the headstock like a gretsch, metal flakes the sides with gold, have a rickenbacker bridge a trapeze tailpiece, and plan on adding a Gibson style varitone switch as well as moving the bridge pickup to the middle, putting a tele pickup in the bridge with an aluminum billet pickup ring, I have an Emerson les Paul wiring kit and locking kluson tuners, so the entire guitar has been modified to u.s. spec and the wiring will work like this. I’ll have the middle and neck pickup wired together. Bridge position (tele pickup) neck position (neck and middle together) middle position (all three). I love the in between position on those pickups so I figure why not make it permanent? Also I will add a two way switch that will coil split the two humbuckers for that in between single coil magic. Obviously it won’t be close to a vintage strat but as for the guitar as a whole? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:I’m sure I can justify my guitar from another if someone claims it’s theirs. I doubt anyone has anything like it:cheers2:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Steinberger Spirit that is H-S-H with a 5-position switch. I want to replace the humbuckers with dual splittable lipstick tube HBs and remove the middle single coil. I'd wire it so 1-2-3 are the typical 3-way operation with single coils (neck, middle, bridge) and 4-5 would be lipstick neck HB and lipstick bridge HB.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I have a Steinberger Spirit that is H-S-H with a 5-position switch. I want to replace the humbuckers with dual splittable lipstick tube HBs and remove the middle single coil. I'd wire it so 1-2-3 are the typical 3-way operation with single coils (neck, middle, bridge) and 4-5 would be lipstick neck HB and lipstick bridge HB.
That would actually be a very useful wiring technique for many guitar companies. I’d bet that would benefit them greatly. I think you may have gotten me in the mood to experiment with lipstick tubes. Thanks brother!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would actually be a very useful wiring technique for many guitar companies. I’d bet that would benefit them greatly. I think you may have gotten me in the mood to experiment with lipstick tubes. Thanks brother!
They are cheap, and available in Strat sized singles (which is what I bought for the MM) or regular HB size and in black or chrome. Guitar Fetish sells them.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
They are cheap, and available in Strat sized singles (which is what I bought for the MM) or regular HB size and in black or chrome. Guitar Fetish sells them.
Thanks man I’ll look into em!

BornToLooze

Reaction score
Yessir. Nothing like a dull glossy finish. Man I swear if somebody sold a clear that looked like this right out of the van I’d stock up on it. Tis beauty. Nice bull skull brother.
I've been throwing around the idea of taking it off. Sometime in the past 40 years it got a single coil route and that's the sticker they covered it with. The bridge pickup is about half dead, so at the very least it'll have to be cut off the pickups whenever I get around to getting it fixed.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I've been throwing around the idea of taking it off. Sometime in the past 40 years it got a single coil route and that's the sticker they covered it with. The bridge pickup is about half dead, so at the very least it'll have to be cut off the pickups whenever I get around to getting it fixed.
man that’s a bummer. I see what you’re talking about now. Well,good luck to you. Keep us posted if you feel so.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
man that’s a bummer. I see what you’re talking about now. Well,good luck to you. Keep us posted if you feel so.
I mean I bought an old Gibby that's been through the ringer because I think relics are stupid. I haven't pulled them to check, but the pickups should be Shaws which I think are worth more than what I paid for the guitar. When I get the cash I'm going to take it to a tech to get sorted out. If the bridge pickup is junk, I'll Phil X it and just put the neck in the bridge and go with one pickup.

But I have to say, you would be surprised how good an old piece of shit with no frets left can play.

Latest Threads