Polishing the 59

rbraad68

Reaction score
I'm so glad I took the plunge! Thanks to all you pioneers who showed the way! Looks and feels so much better.

View attachment 560486
View attachment 560487
View attachment 560488
View attachment 560489
View attachment 560490
Dammit man that came out sweet!! You went for broke on the shine !! I olny did my top then later on did do the sides and back but i wasn't going for super shiny . I'm waiting to see if the matt finish is going to start comming back or not?? Been like 2 months since i did the polish job and she seems to be holding up just fine no polish nothing....

voided76

Reaction score
Both the epi 59s I did are still good to go. I finished the Jimmy page harness on the second 59 and it's fantastic in every sense

bytemare

Reaction score
Guess I'm a little late to this, but I too polished a prophecy that was satin. The finish was actually kind of rough, so I wet sanded with varying grades of sandpaper, then polished it with maguires using a foam pad that you attach to a drill. Came out great, perfectly smooth. And the pics I see in this thread look great too!!! :thumbs:

barryf

Reaction score
I'm so glad I took the plunge! Thanks to all you pioneers who showed the way! Looks and feels so much better.

View attachment 560486
View attachment 560487
View attachment 560488
View attachment 560489
View attachment 560490
Just a follow-up on this. I had both this Epi '59 and a 2021 Gibson Standard 50s. After this polish, and also at the same time deciding to try over-wrapping the strings, this '59 feels and sounds so good that I prefer it to my Gibson. So much so in fact that I just sold the Gibson!

I find that the polish, as well as making the guitar look so much better, really brings out the wood grain on back and sides, and it feels so much more premium in the hand. The neck is like glass - no stickiness at all and even nicer than before the polish. Also the whole feel of it just feels every bit as nice as the Gibson.

All in all, very happy, and in the process I have freed up ~€2200 to feed my GAS!

DavidP51

Reaction score
Well done @barryf !! One of the nicest jobs I've seen here to date -- can't see any orange peel.
Care to share the 'recipe' you used to achieve ir?

barryf

Reaction score
Well done @barryf !! One of the nicest jobs I've seen here to date -- can't see any orange peel.
Care to share the 'recipe' you used to achieve ir?
Actually there is still a little peel here and there. I polish it a little bit when I see them!

I simply used the same Maguire's X2 as suggested by others. Stripped all the hardware off, then lots of elbow grease! Nice round small overlapping strokes. I probably used half a tube of the X2, using more once you feel the resistance. Polish with a clean micro fiber once in a while to see how it's looking, then either stop or carry on

Overall quite a pleasant few hours, and the results are well worth it!

USTTRM

Reaction score
I was thinking about how that guitar would look polished and boy I’m glad I stopped by this thread! That’s sold me on getting another in that colour..

barryf

Reaction score
I was thinking about how that guitar would look polished and boy I’m glad I stopped by this thread! That’s sold me on getting another in that colour..
You have the cherry one, right? I'm thinking maybe I'll get myself one of those as well after how well this one polished up!

Such great guitars, these 59s. Gibson probably insisted these were not polished so as not to embarrass their standards

Latest Threads