Polishing the 59

Geezer101

Reaction score
Ok so I know this has been covered in the other threads but can I clarify the best way to polish a 59 ADB. Has anyone got any photos of the ADB colour polished up?

heartburn

Reaction score
I used Meguiars Scratch X (maybe the 2.0 version, not sure). Polished by hand for about an hour. I only did the top and the headstock (lightly on the headstock, to avoid removing the silkscreen). I used a terry cloth for the bulk of it and then a light polish with a microfiber towel, re-assembled and a quick wipe down with a microfiber towel.

Attachments

Geezer101

Reaction score
So once the cutting compound has been used did you use actual polish or wax? If so will this need topping up periodically?

heartburn

Reaction score
I did not, without the clear I expect normal play wear and will just let it take it's course. I haven't had to deal with excessive sweat or grime yet, so I am not sure what I will do at that point. I expect just an off the shelf guitar polish will be fine. I have not seen any hazing or anything that would lead me to believe that it will require any sort of wax but I don't think it would hurt if someone wanted to do that. Before I polished mine I noticed that the area my arm rests on and the neck had already polished to a gloss, and I have seen other matte guitars just show signs of play via glossy areas. I don't think there will need to be a regimen of re-polishing or anything.

DavidP51

Reaction score
Any chance of a closeup of the polished headstock?? Inquiring minds want to know how it came out!

rbraad68

Reaction score
I did mine not too long ago and i dont reget it one bit. I didn't go all crazy with it just enough to add a little shine to it. I also used that Meguiar's scratch remover from walmart for like 10 bucks. I just did one area at a time moving shit out of the way until i had the whole top complete. i didn't do my head stock nor the back of the neck or sides of the guitar. I started off on the back cause i hated the gritty feeling anyways.. take your time man your going to have to go over it a few times. I also did mine by hand.....

Attachments

heartburn

Reaction score
Well, took me a little more time to get a headstock pic, had some tech issues that knocked me off for a bit.

Picture isn't great but I grabbed a shot with a bit of sunlight coming through blinds.

Attachments

rbraad68

Reaction score
Well, took me a little more time to get a headstock pic, had some tech issues that knocked me off for a bit.

Picture isn't great but I grabbed a shot with a bit of sunlight coming through blinds.
i tried to pollish the headstock on my gold 59 it didn't come out that good man. Nice job!!

DavidP51

Reaction score
Nice job on the headstock!! Umm, just how 'lightly' did you go over the headstock with Scratch X??

heartburn

Reaction score
Nice job on the headstock!! Umm, just how 'lightly' did you go over the headstock with Scratch X??

I probably spent 10 or 15 minutes polishing versus probably an hour on the body. Again I only polished the face. I was trying to avoid cutting through the silkscreen so kept the polishing fairly light and stayed out of the silkscreen for much of it. After doing this I think I could do a bit more without removing the silkscreen and may do so in the future, but I am pretty happy with it as is.

Latest Threads