Polishing/shining a rosewood fretboard

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I have previously scraped the rosewood fretboards on my guitars and they feel smooth and look great, but they have a matte finish. I really love the almost glossy look that a lot of vintage LP fretboards have attained through years of playing and conditioning. What's the best way to get that glossy look on a rosewood fretboard (besides decades of playing ;))?

On-hand I've got 0000 steel wool, white Scotch-Bright pads, and heavy brown paper bag which I heard is good for such a thing. Used the later two on one guitar and the paper bag did the best job out of the two, but it wasn't the heavier thicker paper bag at the time.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take decades. My current No. 1 went from medium brown to practically black, with that glossiness you're talking about, in less than two years just from daily playing.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Yup, it's getting shiny in the areas I play, but there's a lot of fretboard I won't hit anytime soon.

I actually rubbed my finger around one fret and it shined it up a bit. Afraid if I do the whole thing like that I won't have any fingerprints left.

Latest Threads