Polishing a LP goldtop satin! ...............is wrong ! thx for the info

76lpdeluxe

Reaction score
Hi katz! just wondering if i can ,or should polish my lp goldtop .It's lightly reliced
2011 gibson traditional . Im not sure if the gold finish is polyurathane or nitro.

my other les paul is a 1976 gibson NORLIN tabacco burst , mini buckers ..

nice to meet you guys.

:dude:

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
unless you've got a reason for using something more abrasive, I'd use 'swirl remover' (very fine polish) and lots of clean, soft cloths.

smk506

Reaction score
I’d leave it as is, or polish it. Either way rub some dirt on that bare wood.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Can't really help with your question, but welcome to the forum. From the pics it looks like you have some nice gear!

76lpdeluxe

Reaction score
unless you've got a reason for using something more abrasive, I'd use 'swirl remover' (very fine polish) and lots of clean, soft cloths.
TY ,I dont want it perfect but after a little carnuba in one spot its farkin shiny .

Tone deaf

Reaction score
You might try "Fuming" the exposed wood with ammonia. Read up on it. Use extreme caution (that sh*t is nasty), but you can get some great results darkening bare wood. I see it most commonly used for fuming oak. In a perfect world you get a scrap of a maple top (maybe some nice MLPer could send you a scrap from the workshop floor) and give it a try. There are other methods (tea, ebonizing, etc), but I don't think that they are particularly good with maple.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Ty i am going to darken that bare spot.
some moron sent it to relic. I got it for a song so i grabbed it.
I love capitalizing on the mistakes of others. Unplayable high action, sharp fret ends, terrible set up, awful relic job? "Gee, this guitar really sucks. How much did you say wanted for it?"

30 minutes of tinkering and it's a winner.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
TY ,I dont want it perfect but after a little carnuba in one spot its farkin shiny .
You don't need much, if any abrasive. You just need a clean top, a little lube, clean, soft cloths and lots of elbow grease. I have used a car polisher on some woodworking projects and it can get very shiny with some of the superfine bonnets.

76lpdeluxe

Reaction score
You might try "Fuming" the exposed wood with ammonia. Read up on it. Use extreme caution (that sh*t is nasty), but you can get some great results darkening bare wood. I see it most commonly used for fuming oak. In a perfect world you get a scrap of a maple top (maybe some nice MLPer could send you a scrap from the workshop floor) and give it a try. There are other methods (tea, ebonizing, etc), but I don't think that they are particularly good with maple.
Thanks , i read about "fuming" . i also heard about tru oil - gun stock oil and some dirt ? ammmonia yay

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Thanks , i read about "fuming" . i also heard about tru oil - gun stock oil and some dirt ? ammmonia yay
If possible, get some similar maple top scraps. No problem in asking some of the guys here to send some scraps that would otherwise go in the garbage. Just cover their expenses and say nice things about them here on MLP. You will need to "tent" your test strips and time is the big darkening factor (usually). I would do several test pieces and expose them to different amounts of time (like doing contact prints in photography for anyone old enough to get the reference) and take notes. Find the one you like best and expose the bare wood of the guitar for that amount of time (can always do longer if not dark enough).

I would tape off all of the rest of the guitar. I don't know what ammonia will do to pup covers, fret wire or other stuff. Use strips of masking tape (stick them on your jeans first, to make them less sticky) and poly sheets.

Remember that ammonia is nasty sh*t. Don't breath it or get it in your eyes (or mucous membranes). Use proper safety gear. If you don't have a good (not cheap paper mask) respirator, now might be a good time to buy one. *

* You're just starting to look down the MLP rabbit hole.

76lpdeluxe

Reaction score
I love capitalizing on the mistakes of others. Unplayable high action, sharp fret ends, terrible set up, awful relic job? "Gee, this guitar really sucks. How much did you say wanted for it?"

30 minutes of tinkering and it's a winner.
its set up very nice because its been through the PLEK machine lol. very low sleek feel.
unreal! A plekking and a relicing? It wasnt me. aaaaaahhhh

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!
Nice gear you got!

It's really a matter of personal preference.
I prefer a guitar that is not too shiny.
And I think that the rest of the guitar looking all shiny vs that bare wood spot would be kind of "unbalanced".

I guess rubbing the spot with dirty hands could do the trick!
I don't know.
But I would work on making the bare spot match the rest of the guitar only.

But it's your guitar, you do what you think is best for you.
:thumb:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
its set up very nice because its been through the PLEK machine lol. very low sleek feel.
unreal! A plekking and a relicing? It wasnt me. aaaaaahhhh
How much does the outward appearance of the guitar contribute to the tone or playability?

I love an ugly duckling.*

*Not calling your guitar an ugly duckling. I actually think it looks quite nice. 5 gallons of sweat will get all the mojo you need...

76lpdeluxe

Reaction score
Darkened the relic spot on gold top . It was too light. i bought the 2012 lp
already relic 'd . love this guitarIMG_1661.JPG

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Best Gold top I've seen is on the Lee Roy Parnell LPs. Just stunning.