Polish or refinish Les Paul Tribute Honeyburst?

itsTrips

Reaction score
I agree with others who have said wait and let it grow on you. Currently my Les Paul traditional has a shiny polished top, and I wish it looked more like yours, Matte and dull. Lol

I personally love the look of old Bursts that were glossy when new but dull with age and look matte now. That gets me every time!
I’d say leave it be! Give it time.. if it still bothers you months down the road, then maybe take a chance!
But as others have said you risk burning through that nitro, then you have an entirely different project on your hands! All of which prevents you from doing the one thing you bought it for.. PLAYING it! Lol

Dutch-Les-Paul

Reaction score
I agree with others who have said wait and let it grow on you. Currently my Les Paul traditional has a shiny polished top, and I wish it looked more like yours, Matte and dull. Lol

I personally love the look of old Bursts that were glossy when new but dull with age and look matte now. That gets me every time!
I’d say leave it be! Give it time.. if it still bothers you months down the road, then maybe take a chance!
But as others have said you risk burning through that nitro, then you have an entirely different project on your hands! All of which prevents you from doing the one thing you bought it for.. PLAYING it! Lol
I absolutely love this guitar and playing it makes me very happy... Weird thing is that I played this one and a Classic in the store, and this one grabbed way more... Playability and sound-wise I mean.

I will let my thoughts go over it a few months and meanwhile play it like crazy.

LP Fan

Reaction score
Don't screw with it, man. You'll likely regret it. It looks great as is.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Looks like orange peel and is very typical of some satin finishes. And, again, maple has a very tight grain and may not need filler. Mahogany definitely needs filler for a smooth finish and will have little pits if not filled. That’s how you can tell if they used filler, look at the mahogany.

blind radish

Reaction score
Wow, that looks great! The binding is also really nice!

How did you achieve this? Love to hear the details if possible...
It is a long story

Here is the first part

then ... after a while I got tired of the natural maple colored top and had a local guy I know create the blacktop effect with Laquer.

grumphh

Reaction score
I would never ever buy a satin finished guitar (unless it came at a third of regular used price), so my advice is to try to add some clear (glossy, duh) nitro to the front of the guitar.

Add a few layers of clear and then you can polish away without fearing that the colour coat will be damaged by the polishing.

Shiny over "satin" any day!!!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have a tribute goldtop.polished it with meguiers polish and an orbital buffer.did not sand anything.you can still see the orange peel but it has more of a VOS look to it now.i also did back,neck and sides.

Latest Threads