Pole piece - string severe misalignment, pic included

willcole81

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently put a pair of classic 57's in my Epi LP. They sound awesome, but there's a "problem" that's bothering me. I say problem in quotes, because they sound fine. On the bridge pickup, the strings really dont align well with the pole pieces, especially on the e,b,g strings.

I cant believe i didnt notice it as soon as i put them in, im not sure what the problem is, but id like to know how to fix it with putting too many holes in my guitar.

Ive used the same pickup mounting rings int his guitar many times with many different pickups, and never had this problem.

Any advice?

here's a pic

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did you get the neck and bridge position pickups switched, or is there even a difference in the pole piece spacing? If there is no difference, and you guitar plays and sounds okay, don't worry about it. Magnetism doesn't mind the pole pieces being a millimeter or two off.

willcole81

Reaction score
hey, thanks for the input. i dont think the regular classic 57 comes in neck and bridge models (at least as far as i know). The bridge is a regular classic 57, not a 57 +. I dont think there should be any real difference in pole piece spacing between these two pickups

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
Maybe when you went from the metric size stock pu's to US sized 57' pu's(Trim rings?) the pickup is not sitting in the hole squarely? Did you use new US trim rings, and did you have to re-drill screw holes to match? If you can, move the pu/trim rings a tad to the Right and it should be OK, rings should cover screw holes in body? Just a thought..

cmckay

Reaction score
i have the same issue with my neck pick up but it still sounds perfect so i wouldnt worry too much mate

TWANG

Reaction score
The two little metal legs that the adjustment screws for height screw into..at the base of the pickup.

you can bend them a bit with a needle nose pliers.
all you have to to is make sure they are sitting flat and be careful.
You aren't going to break them. You should get enough change out of that to line them up.
TWANG

JonMan94

Reaction score

Just looking, (making random posts...)

willcole81

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. I mounted the pickup in a different ring, and they're lined up a little bit better, but still off. im not going to sweat it. :thumb:

5er driver

Reaction score
Don't sweat it......I've got the same issue with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge of my 2004 Epi LP Custom and it sounds just fine. I have a Dimarzio Air Classic Neck in the neck position of the same guitar and the strings line up perfectly over the pole pieces. And both are standard spaced, not F spaced.......I found out later on Dimarzio's website that I should have put an F spaced pup in the bridge....:hmm:

"Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position."

KP

Reaction score
That is pretty much the way it is on Epi LPs. I have not had a neck PU which lined up yet.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My Seymour Duncan 59s don't match up in my Honeyburst Standard. Fact of life.

I don't even think my Burstbucker in my BFG lines up perfectly. :laugh2:

TWANG

Reaction score
mine line up.
low e looks off a tick in this photo, but it's not.
roller bridge .. side to side adjustment.
I also disagree with those who say it makes no difference. but whatever floats your boat!

TWANG

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it makes a difference, i'm just too lazy to care. I like the way they sound (mostly) and I dont feel like screwing something up. :laugh2:

That's like people that say pickup covers on or off makes a huge difference. Seriously? I can't tell a difference at all.

5er driver

Reaction score
roller bridge .. side to side adjustment.
That's like people that say pickup covers on or off makes a huge difference. Seriously? I can't tell a difference at all.
I was contemplating a bridge with lateral adjustment but the pup sounds great as it is so I decided not to pump more $ into the guitar. Besides, if I move the saddles in to line strings up with the bridge pup pole pieces they would not align correctly over the neck pup pole pieces as the strings line up perfectly over the neck pup. And, any sound or tone difference perceived by anyone, can and usually is, compensated with the guitar's tone knobs and amp's onboard EQ or a pedal EQ. So, if the strings did line up perfectly I might just have the treble turned up a tad less than what it is somewhere in the signal chain at the moment.

wantsa58

Reaction score
My late 70's super distortion pup does the same thing. It really doesnt effect the sound much if any in my case. Low output pups may differ though. If it sounds good don't worry about of it.

EDIT: 5er driver beat me to it. Looks just like mine.

FFXGuitar

Reaction score
hey, thanks for the input. i dont think the regular classic 57 comes in neck and bridge models (at least as far as i know). The bridge is a regular classic 57, not a 57 +. I dont think there should be any real difference in pole piece spacing between these two pickups
Im pretty sure it you buy to 57 classics, your buying two neck pickups. THe bridge pup is a '57 Classic Plus, which has different spacing for the bridge.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have the same issue with my neck pick up but it still sounds perfect so i wouldnt worry too much mate
If it's the guitar in your sig that's having that issue it's maybe because the right (high strings) side is lower than the left (bass strings). When you screw the right side up till it's the same distance to the strings as the left side you should be fine. If it doesn't bother you, leave it as it is. As long as it sounds good it's fine. Just thought I'd mention.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it you buy to 57 classics, your buying two neck pickups. THe bridge pup is a '57 Classic Plus, which has different spacing for the bridge.
Well that's what's written on the box of my '57 Classic Plus.

"The Gibson '57 Classic Plus is suitable for the bridge or neck position and makes a perfect match with the '57 Classic in the neck position."

To me it says, put it where you want but it's best at the bridge.

Latest Threads