Polarity Question

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I've decided to (intentionally this time,) set up one of my Les Pauls for out of phase middle position.

I've heard the OOP from reversed electrical polarity by swapping the wires of one pick up on the pot lug.

My question is this: Is there any difference in tone from the electrical swap described above, by reversing the magnetic polarity, by flipping one of the magnets?

Is there any tone difference in magnetic vs electrical polarity swap?

Thanks in advance!

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Thanks James!

So it's best to not tinker with the pick up hardware when wiring achieves the same effect.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess that depends on if the pickup is already built with 4 conductor wiring and / or if it has a cover soldered on.

Whatever's easier.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Another question just floated up..

For the maximum effect should the DC resistance of the pick ups be equal?

Or use the volume knob to find the sweet spot? I remember an interview with Gary Moore where he says that Greenie was most toneful with both volumes dimed.

ARandall

Reaction score
OOP is an odd thing. Even the same pickups set to be OOP when swapped to a different guitar can go from incredible to horrible or the other way around. Its as much the guitar itself as the height settings and/or volume controls.
Similarly you will never know just what will make a good OOP tone just from specs......even taking out the misconception of 'dcr tells you nothing about the pickup'.

JohnK

Reaction score
Another question just floated up..

For the maximum effect should the DC resistance of the pick ups be equal?

Or use the volume knob to find the sweet spot? I remember an interview with Gary Moore where he says that Greenie was most toneful with both volumes dimed.
More likely, if the volumes of the pickups are matched, which you can achieve by adjusting the heights of pickups rather than looking at the DC resistance. The combination of pickups causes notch filtering, which is the Green sound. If one pickup is louder than the other, it's normal tone will dominate more in the output, and in theory you would not want either to dominate, unless of course, you do want that.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not just DCR or volume, but you'd want two identical pickups. Coil offset, coil pattern, magnet type, steels, etc will all play into the voice of the pickup and the more similar they are the more they can phase cancel a greater range of frequencies.

The will still never be able to reside in physically the same place in the guitar under the strings, so that will be the limitation of achieving what would otherwise be a full mute.

Honestly, folks generally want to go the other direction, using less similar pickups and different volumes/settings on each to reduce the phase cancellation. No rules in music, of course, though.