Polarity Poser!

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I got this Crews Maniac SG With one original PU and a Super Distortion in the bridge. They were out-of-phase, and sounded pretty dweeby in the middle switch position. So I rattled around in my parts drawer, and came up with a 498T I thought might work.

I checked the magnet polarity on both the neck PU and the 498 with one of those little tubular polarity checkers, the kind with the little magnetic black/white marble in them. Both of them showed white on the screw side, so I thought all was well. I put the 498 in, and lo and behold! Same nasal tone in the middle position! WTF???
IMG_9694.JPG

Brazilnut

Reaction score
By the way, anybody want a DiMarzio Super Distortion in double black? Cheap?

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. What’s it weigh? (That never gets old with me Bruce!)

2. Good suggestion by Big John to check the wiring, as Gibson and Dimarzio are just different enough.

Nice guitar!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Remember Gibson pickups change color codes between neck and bridge.

Neck pickups:

Black and bare wires = ground to the backs of the pots
Green and white = coil splitting and I soldered those together and covered in heat shrink tubing
Red = hot wire to lug on volume pot

Bridge pickups:

Green and bare wires = ground to the backs of the pots
Red and black = coil spilitting and soldered together and covered in heat shrink tubing
White = hot wire to lug on volume pot

Brazilnut

Reaction score
The 498 has the two-wire lead, with braided ground and pushback insulation, so does the Japanese neck PU.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The 498 has the two-wire lead, with braided ground and pushback insulation, so does the Japanese neck PU.
Ok, since it was out of phase with both the DiMarzio and the Gibson pickup, my guess is someone flipped the magnet in the neck pickup to make it out of phase on purpose. So try flipping that one.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Ok, since it was out of phase with both the DiMarzio and the Gibson pickup, my guess is someone flipped the magnet in the neck pickup to make it out of phase on purpose. So try flipping that one.
OK!

Brazilnut

Reaction score
But that still begs the question: Why did my polarity check show the screw sides of both pickups tp be the same. and yet the polarity of the two pickups are not the same.

Roxy13

Reaction score
^ That is a good point. I've not run across a MIJ pickup that was not compatible with a US made one like Gibson or Duncan, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

My thought then was maybe someone changed the polarity with the wire since it's a 4 wire pickup.

Latest Threads