Plugging and redrilling headstock tuner holes

Gothika777

Reaction score
I have drilled a headstock hole but the drill bit moved approx. 1mm lower then the rest of the other holes I have drilled.

I was using a 8.8mm drill bit which is a bit of a weird size and I would like to plug this so I can redrill this.

I kinda understand why stew mac sells the tuner hole drilling jigs now.

Anyways I want to fix this. So what approach would be best?

1) Use a lathe to plug the current hole and redrill
2) Drill the existing hole bigger and use a plug cuter to fill it and then redrill

Gothika777

Reaction score
I guess my question is really about whether I should be worried about the 1st option where the new hole will cut through where the plug joins to my current hole (i.e exposes a glued area)?

emoney

Reaction score
It can happen, i.e. the exposing the glued area. I tried once and it drove me nuts, so I ended up removing the headstock
veneer (faceplate) and even veneered the back of the headstock so it wouldn't show. Lot probably depends on how you're
finishing it and if you can get the grain to match, but with a circle, it's hard to totally cover that glue line I'm afraid.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
I use an oversize plug cutter and turn them down in my drill press using sandpaper, i do one end turn it and do the other until its a nice fit, i recently did 3 on one side of a headstock because my friend did them pissed, worked perfect

i do it that way so i don't cut a bigger hole which you'll see