plugging a microphone into my amp

Underliner6

Reaction score
I have started a new band, but we have no microphone or speakers. I dont really want to spend a few hundred bucks on a good microphone and speakers to sing into. I have a line spider III 15 watt combo, which i would like to use as my speaker. My friend used to have a little cheapy microphone that he would plug into his line 6 amp, and it sounded ok and got the job done. I have done research and cant find any microphones that are compatible with my line 6 amp. Any of you guys know of a microphone that will be compatible with my amp? Thanks.

-Jim

BMS

Reaction score
Ah, I remember doing that when I was in school and I was the only on in the band with a decent amp. I had my 1484 Silvertone piggy back. It had(Has, I still have it) two channels and four inputs and we used to put all our instruments into it. I bought a cheapo mic from Radio Shack and we all sang into the same mic. Didn't have a mic stand so we used a lamp stand and took off the shade and gaff taped her up. Man reading your post really brought back some memories there!

So to answer your question, I don't know of any mics that are "compatible" per say. Without spending any money, I'd say keep doing what you are doing. Eventually you might just want to buck up and get a cheap P.A.

ES350

Reaction score
The amp wants to see a high impedance source, so use a decent low Z mike (SM 58, etc) and a low Z to high Z transformer with a 1/4 inch plug...set the amp to as flat and clean a setting as you can get, and have at it. Don't expect great results...

ClassyGuy

Reaction score
I've done this with bands before. As ES350 says, don't expect it to sound great, but if you just want a temporary solution or you're doing a noisy garage rock thing it'll be fine.

You can get an impedance-matching adapter for your mic cable at most music stores. Without one you won't be able to get much volume from the mic.

ext1jdh

Reaction score
I have done research and cant find any microphones that are compatible with my line 6 amp. Any of you guys know of a microphone that will be compatible with my amp? Thanks.

huh?

wouldn't this do the job for any mic? albeit, very quietly...I used one of these for a little while to plug my SM48 into an MG15 and it worked as well as can be expected.

16-Ft. XLR-to-1/4" Microphone Cable - RadioShack.com

Ermghoti

Reaction score
huh?

wouldn't this do the job for any mic? albeit, very quietly...I used one of these for a little while to plug my SM48 into an MG15 and it worked as well as can be expected.

16-Ft. XLR-to-1/4" Microphone Cable - RadioShack.com

Impedance mismatch, and you lose half the signal. Better to use the little in-line transformer/adaptor dealies. Those cords caused me misery back when I knew nothing.

ext1jdh

Reaction score
Impedance mismatch, and you lose half the signal. Better to use the little in-line transformer/adaptor dealies. Those cords caused me misery back when I knew nothing.

Impedance mismatch yes. Half the signal? How does that happen, i just don't know.

Thing is, unless you're going to shell out the money for a PA, then this will work for you. You can throw a microphone preamp in front of it, but there's not a lot of point to that.

Shure SM48 - $50
XLR-1/4 cable - $20
Cheap preamp - $30
Standard cheap XLR cable - $20
$120 already, without the cost of the amplifier.

Phonic Powerpod 4 channel 100 watt PA. Includes 1 mic, 1 xlr, 2 speakers and speaker cables. MusiciansFriend throws in a couple speaker stands free.
$179.

Neither solution is perfect, but both will do fine in a garage. Personally, I'd rather use the Phonic but I'm cheap and settled for the cable running into my MG15

Ermghoti

Reaction score
Impedance mismatch yes. Half the signal? How does that happen, i just don't know.

The microphone is using an XLR balanced connector, which uses two hots with reversed polarity and a ground, IIRC. The 1/4" connector cables shunt one hot to ground to get rid of it (two would sum to silence without a little processing), so, bingo, -6 dBV. Or something like that. The transformers address the issue properly, saving a bunch of preamp gain, and the noise associated with it. You'll already be cranking to get the mic level nearer to instrument level, albeit not as bad as if you were plugging into a line input.

The experiment will cost you $12 or so for the adaptor.

ext1jdh

Reaction score
The microphone is using an XLR balanced connector, which uses two hots with reversed polarity and a ground, IIRC. The 1/4" connector cables shunt one hot to ground to get rid of it (two would sum to silence without a little processing), so, bingo, -6 dBV. Or something like that. The transformers address the issue properly, saving a bunch of preamp gain, and the noise associated with it. You'll already be cranking to get the mic level nearer to instrument level, albeit not as bad as if you were plugging into a line input.

The experiment will cost you $12 or so for the adaptor.

Well that makes sense. I completely forgot about the additional pin on the XLR

Wilko

Reaction score
I was just posting an actual link with a picture, a price and a source. Thought it might help the OP.

ext1jdh

Reaction score
...Seeing as both have pictures, prices and a source from Radio Shack, and both have the same problem of being incredibly quiet, it would seem that it's not really a fix no matter who provides it.

Wilko

Reaction score
I don't understand what you're getting at. The cable is not the same thing, does not have a transformer.

The transformer (mentioned previously) matches the impedance and the level is not cut in half as with just the cable..

ext1jdh

Reaction score
nevermind. I'm an idiot. Feel free to throw things at me.

Underliner6

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for your help :thumb: Yes, im just doing a little garage band so im not looking for crystal clear vocals. But i for sure have a better idea of how im going to handle the microphone thing now! Thanks . :)

ES350

Reaction score
I have a bag full of these from back in the day when harp players were trying to plug low-z mics into guitar amps...they'd always lose theirs.

Latest Threads