Plexiglass/Perspex template thickness?

R

Resolve

I'm going to start using Plexiglass for my templates and I've found a supplier who can cut me length up to 2 metres with an edge accuracy of +/- 0.5mm so I want some lengths for making temporary neck pockets/routing the neck tapers when making MDF templates etc.

What thickness do you guys use? How rigid is the 5mm stuff when using as a 1 metre length?

I can go from 5mm-12mm but I don't know if the 12mm is overkill?

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
Go 12mm. The most common issue in templates is trouble with thin contact surfaces. It also affects the accuracy life. There are some temps that must be thin but you have to sort that out by experience considering your tooling and technique.

R

Resolve

Makes sense! I think I'll definitely order some straight lengths of 12mm to clean up the ends of boards and making neck templates.

All the stewmac templates seem to be the imperial equivalent of 5mm but this seems a bit thin to be dealing with straight lengths.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
An advantage of a thicker template is also that you can ride the bearing up higher so that you don't have to take a heavy initial cut.

ARandall

Reaction score
I found the plexiglass ones tend to 'melt' or something similar. The stewmac pickup templates had a life of about 2 uses, then the edge got all rough.

Latest Threads