Plexi Marshall's... where do I start?

55special

Reaction score
Fantastic video. And even if you can get the tubes and everything cooking real good, at "reasonable volumes", you're not going to get the speakers working hard too, it's the sum of the parts for sure.
I agree. It's not going to be possible to get that tone 100% in a home studio. I can get loud, but not that loud. I think the questions is: do you get closer on a 100 w Marshall with various mods (master, attenuator, extra gain etc.), or another amp that does something similar.

What I can rule out are lower wattage amps. I can get pretty loud in my studio without bothering anyone. I'm thinking I may do a loudness test and crank my Mesa to see how loud I can get before it becomes a problem outside my house.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Here's a guy who owns a "Plexi" talking about what it's like owning one, working with one, and taming the beast that it is.

Check out the 1987X from Marshall, which is THE plexi, but with a terminal wattage of 50. Which might help you as well.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
I love my Suhr Badgers (have owned every version). While they're in the ballpark and very manageable, they're not exactly the Plexi sound. Maybe a Suhr SL67 or SL68 with a PPIMV and a low power (Variac) switch would work well, but I haven't played one.

In my experience though, the vast majority of people who say that they want the Plexi sound don't actually want the Plexi sound, or don't realize that getting a Plexi isn't going to give them the Plexi sound, paradoxically, because it's so dependent on insane volume levels, speakers, cab, etc.

Having said that, here's an awesome video. I would probably get a Suhr SL67 or SL68 if I was buying a Plexi these days:

Man this was a great discussion about the difference in all the different ways of getting an overdrive tone, or even just a fat driven clean tone. If you're a tone snob, there's just no getting around the fact that the best, greatest tones, come from pushing the power stage of an all tube amp. Other methods [Attenuation>cascading pre-amp tube, gain staging>transistor based drive pedals] get close, but can't reach the same dynamics and "alive-ness" of an all tube signal being pushed hard. Even Attenuation, will make the tone sound muffled because what you are missing is the volume. Great tone from those classic amps, is a commitment to volume, there's no way getting around it.

Practicality forces us to choose the various alternatives I mentioned.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Man this was a great discussion about the difference in all the different ways of getting an overdrive tone, or even just a fat driven clean tone. If you're a tone snob, there's just no getting around the fact that the best, greatest tones, come from pushing the power stage of an all tube amp. Other methods [Attenuation>cascading pre-amp tube, gain staging>transistor based drive pedals] get close, but can't reach the same dynamics and "alive-ness" of an all tube signal being pushed hard. Even Attenuation, will make the tone sound muffled because what you are missing is the volume. Great tone from those classic amps, is a commitment to volume, there's no way getting around it.

Ive never had good luck with attenuators, ive tried but they do something where its like you have higher UF caps, loses the attack. Even with just -2db knocked off its feels wrong.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Here's a guy who owns a "Plexi" talking about what it's like owning one, working with one, and taming the beast that it is.

Check out the 1987X from Marshall, which is THE plexi, but with a terminal wattage of 50. Which might help you as well.

It cannot be said enough, Hiwatts, and Plexi's are so in your face, you will have much much better technique. I can remember getting my hiwatt after years with fenders, and silly things like hand drag on the strings, was as loud as picking a chord.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Ive never had good luck with attenuators, ive tried but they do something where its like you have higher UF caps, loses the attack. Even with just -2db knocked off its feels wrong.
Almost always prefer the bright input on my vintage amps, tone knob and volume knobs on my guitar on 10, get the amps volume knob to whatever I can get away with. Just hows I like it. :cool2:

Hecubus

Reaction score
Check out the Ceriatone All Access. Sounds like what you want, although build times are pretty long right now.

BKS

Reaction score
Little late but 2061x anyone? I love my little miniplexi...

I have a 1959 reissue rr with It's 1960 cab. Loud as hell!

55special

Reaction score

There may already be this kind of shootout out there, but would be super interesting to see which of the above methods come closest to achieving that tone when there is some volume constraint.

I have a 6x4 Whisper Room iso booth that does a pretty excellent job taming the loudness. I'm thinking I can easily rent these heads near me. When I'm ready to buy something, I'll rent first and see if I can manage the volume.

If I had more $, there are a few spots in my house that I could build some kind of heavy duty amp chamber and run a line to my studio. Not in the near future though.

mdubya

Reaction score
Most of the old plexis I have played don't sound as great as they should because they are old and component values are drifting. And the owners are not going to fix a thing because they will devalue them.

So...I say get a great clone, a Killer Clone, if you will.

The best "plexi" I have played is a JTM 50 clone built from a Metro Amps kit. It sounded more like the real thing than the actual real thing.

But if you don't know any better, it won't matter. :lol:

My non-cascading 1976 2204 compared pretty damn favorably, I must say.

Of course you will need a pristine set of vintage Pulsonic coned G12Ms, too. Best of luck. See also, Johan Segeborn.

55special

Reaction score
Most of the old plexis I have played don't sound as great as they should because they are old and component values are drifting. And the owners are not going to fix a thing because they will devalue them.

So...I say get a great clone, a Killer Clone, if you will.

The best "plexi" I have played is a JTM 50 clone built from a Metro Amps kit. It sounded more like the real thing than the actual real thing.

But if you don't know any better, it won't matter. :lol:

My non-cascading 1976 2204 compared pretty damn favorably, I must say.

Of course you will need a pristine set of vintage Pulsonic coned G12Ms, too. Best of luck. See also, Johan Segeborn.

That is definitely a concern. Especially, buying a vintage amp off of Reverb or Ebay and not being able to hear it first. Not my first rodeo though with old things that need constant repair. I definitely have a sound in my head I'm going for and if I hear it in something else, I'd happily jump on it. Let's put it this way, I know where I haven't heard it. I'm going to try to listen to examples of all of these suggestions.

Also, that video of Johan playing through the burning amp is amazing. Thanks for the link.

mdubya

Reaction score
That is definitely a concern. Especially, buying a vintage amp off of Reverb or Ebay and not being able to hear it first. Not my first rodeo though with old things that need constant repair. I definitely have a sound in my head I'm going for and if I hear it in something else, I'd happily jump on it. Let's put it this way, I know where I haven't heard it. I'm going to try to listen to examples of all of these suggestions.

Also, that video of Johan playing through the burning amp is amazing. Thanks for the link.

Here's the funny thing: I am not really a fan of the tone Johan goes for. I know what he is going for, but that is not my preferred "plexi" tone.

Buffalo

Reaction score
I'm going to try to listen to examples of all of these suggestions.
If you send me a mp3 file of your raw guitar output, i'm gonna play it thru the plexi full stack next week when it has arrived with the settings you want (as long as it's not too loud, due the nursing home on the other side of the street) and mic it with my Shure SH55.

55special

Reaction score
If you send me a mp3 file of your raw guitar output, i'm gonna play it thru the plexi full stack next week when it has arrived with the settings you want (as long as it's not too loud, due the nursing home on the other side of the street) and mic it with my Shure SH55.
That is a heck of an offer. You just mean the DI signal right? I finished tracking all the guitars but I'll see if there's something I can shoot over to test it out. The one guitar part that comes to mind would be pretty loud (fairly high gain solo) so I'll try to find something else. Either way, would love to hear how it sounds.

I did come across a head I would probably buy if I could right now. It's a 1976 MP MK2 50W. It's listed at $2400. Has a master volume mod on the back. I am finding that I'm really liking the tone of the 70s 1987 models. It's a bit less aggressive on the high end and has a really nice mid range. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154587270216?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=b1be52da0b0f401d9b33cd6751386602&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=154587270216&itm=154587270216&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Marshall&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:0b4be1ec-0854-11ec-93fa-ca162a658f42|parentrq:8f0032d517b0a826daa300afffef209a|iid:1

Buffalo

Reaction score
That is a heck of an offer. You just mean the DI signal right?
Right. Gonna play it via my headrush into the marshall full stack and record it with a Shure SH55 via my t.mix board (which should get back from repair next week).

The Shure SH55 is optimized vor voice, so it might emphasize mids a bit more.

I did come across a head I would probably buy if I could right now. It's a 1976 MP MK2 50W. It's listed at $2400. Has a master volume mod on the back. I am finding that I'm really liking the tone of the 70s 1987 models. It's a bit less aggressive on the high end and has a really nice mid range.
I wouldn't go for vintage gear, not knowing how many hours are on the tubes and how much capacity is left in the dried out capacitors. Let alone not to know who tinkered with it. A brand new handwired 1959 with all new components fresh from the factory in England goes for $1959 ....

55special

Reaction score
Right. Gonna play it via my headrush into the marshall full stack and record it with a Shure SH55 via my t.mix board (which should get back from repair next week).

The Shure SH55 is optimized vor voice, so it might emphasize mids a bit more.

I wouldn't go for vintage gear, not knowing how many hours are on the tubes and how much capacity is left in the dried out capacitors. Let alone not to know who tinkered with it. A brand new handwired 1959 with all new components fresh from the factory in England goes for $1959 ....
Yeah, I get it with vintage gear. I'd actually prefer one that's been tinkered with and had failed parts replaced. Not looking for an investment piece or anything. As much work as they are, I've never regretted a vintage purchase (car, guitars, appliances even.) The individual character and history of them makes it worth it to me. But I get why a lot of people wouldn't want to deal with that headache for a marginally different sound. I'm not a remotely practical person haha.

Nitro

Reaction score
Here’s my Rockitt Retro 1968 Marshall Plexi Clone, Rockstah Mod 5 modification done by the late Mark Abrahamian RIP this was the last amp Mark modded before he passed away in 2012 this is one amazing sounding amp Van Halen 1 sounding for days(9-4-21 I had a logo made for the amp this was Mark Abrahamian Rockstah Amplication logo that he designed by Mark didnt have a chance to have them made due to his passing).

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest Threads