Please tell me why BR Rosewood is so special

Why BR RW so special?

• Total voters

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I found a gem on the used market (lefty), but I'm not yet convinced it's a good deal for me. I've never played on a Brazilian Rosewood fretboard and I care a lot about the playability/comfort while playing. No, I can't play before buying (understand that lefties have limited options)

For those who have ever played on one, why is BR RW so special?

Is it just its rarity, looks, feel, or what?

Caretaker

Reaction score
People want it because it`s now banned(or whatever term you choose).
OLD braz(on a guitar) feels different because it`s broken in.
That SAME old braz made into a board now does not feel like that because it was just made.
Just my opinion but I stand by it.

bungle

Reaction score
I said feelz. Only have Braz on one guitar. My Greco. Not sure if it’s my Imagination but I swear as you play it gets better? Hard to explain.:hmm: Plays like bu... um Brazilian .:)

Reaction score
Recuerdo haber jugado hace 2 años una PRS de edición limitada con palo de rosa brasileño, y realmente no noté una diferencia con el mástil de mi stratocaster (toqué ambas guitarras en el mismo amplificador, la misma noche.
Puede ser un fetiche en lugar de algo realmente significativo, mis dedos no sentían la diferencia, de todos modos parecía un instrumento hermoso

Realmente creo que para dar una opinión exacta sobre el sonido, tanto las maderas BR RWD como I RWD deberían someterse a pruebas de laboratorio, no creo que haya una diferencia significativa, o al menos los resultados no se pueden comparar entre 2 guitarras, ya que en caso de que nunca sonaron idénticos debido a una cuestión natural

Wailing

Reaction score
I have a 1960 Melody Maker that has an excellent Brazilian Fretboard, however when comparing it to my 2016 Gibson Junior apart from the aesthetics of age, I wouldn’t say there was a huge difference in feel.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Its just because its on the original vintage Gibsons, that everybody wants and nobody got the money for. Then they want the next best thing which is a Gibson Historic, but it's not as good as the real ones and people start looking for explanations. Must be the tenon?! Still not as good. Must be the hide glue!? Still not good enough. Must be the lacquer! Still not good enough. Must be the fretboard!? And so on.

Some braz looks way nicer than regular rosewood, a good piece can be as smooth as ebony but in my opinion not worth the crazy premium considering the extra cost for Gibson or a luthier is what? Like 50 bucks?

ARandall

Reaction score
Certainly when you rap the wood blank, there is a significant difference in the tone generated.
But it's fair to say that a fretboard is not high on the list of highly influential wood components in a guitar.......given there are 11 separate wood parts that make a typical Les Paul
Not to mention that given every bit of wood is unique, it is impossible (or silly) to try and make comparisons between completely different guitars
I have 3 wonderful guitars with braz boards. But as they also feature 1. A full 1954 p90 + harness....2. Vintage p90s with modern high end harness, and 3. Humbuckers wound with 50s wire......it's hard to put the superb tone down to a 6mm wedge of wood.

Reactions: Jer

MSB

Reaction score
its not

but everyone has their quirks. I like 'em smooth, others like color.

its just a way to drum up business and charge more IMO. As always, within a circle of people in a hobby, there are levels and ways to measure oneself against the rest, BRW is one of them.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does have an interesting look to it,... so does Madagascar RW,.... i would have to go with it's appearance.

It actually looks better over time,... as does any RW.

Only on acoustic instruments will you really "hear" the quality of Brazilian RW.... like an old Martin where the back and sides are made of BRW.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Marketing hype

I like darker woods with tight grain but Im not expecting any magical properties out of a particular species, unless it came from a magical tree tended by fairies and harvested by gnomes in an enchanted forest :)

PauloQS

Reaction score
Honestly I don’t know despite playing several instruments with Brazilian boards. The reason I don’t know is that all of those instruments were very broken in acoustic guitars. They felt and looked amazing. However, I’ve seen some guitars with Indian Rosewood boards from the 90s that and felt absolutely phenomenal.

Corn Fed

Reaction score
It does have an interesting look to it,... so does Madagascar RW,.... i would have to go with it's appearance.

It actually looks better over time,... as does any RW.

Only on acoustic instruments will you really "hear" the quality of Brazilian RW.... like an old Martin where the back and sides are made of BRW.
BR as back and sides on an acoustic is top shelf(if you are after volume and bass). It is also true that the tone(and volume) of the acoustic "opens up" and improves over time(if you are actively playing it). I've had a Taylor with BR back and sides, spruce top for over 10 years. I have enjoyed experiencing this process.

mdubya

Reaction score
Historical accuracy and limited supply.

Some of it LOOKS particularly good as far as historically accurate fret board material goes.

But lots of it does NOT look like historically accurate fret board material, even if it is real Brazilian rosewood.

I appreciate a nice fretboard, but the species of wood is not a real concern to me. I've had a few Indian Rosewood boards that could pass for Braz on looks.

The funny thing is you can get a Braz board for relatively cheap. The premium charged for limited runs is ridiculous.

Latest Threads