Please Tell Me What I Have Here - Pickup Wiring

karaterick

Reaction score
I bought this 2018 LP Standard that had aftermarket Dimarzio Super Distortions and Upgraded pots and what not.
I want to return it back to stock with the original board and pickups in order to sell it and I want to install the Dimarzio pups in the 2016 LP that I am keeping.

I’m not sure where to even start. If it was just swapping pups I could probably do it myself, but I have no idea how to change all of the other electronics around.

Thanks in advance.
04299FA1-D05D-4BF4-9C98-EF5AFC1A77F2.jpeg
473C6D66-8CA9-4557-8691-0B1A4A09A4C9.jpeg
14A18003-D816-4207-A00C-D9D7AA0876FF.jpeg
EB6534B8-F5A3-4C5E-97ED-581C597C382C.jpeg

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
My approach involves a pot spanner, screwdriver, wire snips and a bin...
Seriously though, just start unsoldering everything, starting with whatever is easiest to get at first. No point trying to work it out,.
Rewiring a guitar is dead easy.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Do you have your stock PCB and switch and jack?

If so you will need to unsolder your switch wires, and unsolder the ones on the jack. Then you can pull the switch out since it's no longer attached to the pots and jack. There will also be a ground wire coming out of it's own hole on the top side of the cavity. Find which pot it's grounded to and unsolder it. Unsolder the pickup leads. Then just pull off your knobs, unscrew the nuts and the rest of the harness should pop right out.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If you want straight ahead vintage style wiring, you want to make it look about like this.

It's very straightforward. Cables from pickups go to the controls, outputs go to the 3 way switch, output of the 3 way switch goes to the jack. Two capacitors, four pots, one jack, two pickups, and a 3 way switch. And a ground wire to the tailpiece stud. That's all there needs to be.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you want to return it to stock, unless it was sold to you with the original plate etc with it, thats a boat that has already sailed. Even buying a plate will give you pot dates likely different to the guitar build date.
So you won't get to use an 'original wiring' claim in the ad no matter what you do.
So the easiest is simply do as suggested above. Simple wiring, as found in the wiring library sticky in the tonefreaks section......thats the home of wiring after all.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Actually returning it to stock as it was when it left Gibson's factory is NOT a selling point. Nobody pays extra for Gibson's PC board mounted control system. A lot of players can't wait to yank that thing out of there.

If you were to wire it up to a vintage stock spec, as I suggested earlier, you'll find that most potential buyers would see that as a desirable improvement.

Japri

Reaction score
Just wire it to vintage wiring, and include all the PCB, incase new owner wants radical wiring it he can DIY. :naughty:

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want straight ahead vintage style wiring, you want to make it look about like this.

It's very straightforward. Cables from pickups go to the controls, outputs go to the 3 way switch, output of the 3 way switch goes to the jack. Two capacitors, four pots, one jack, two pickups, and a 3 way switch. And a ground wire to the tailpiece stud. That's all there needs to be.
I like this idea but... It ain't cheap. I think you are pretty limited if you want to go vintage correct. Especially for correct caps. The caps alone are around US$30 each then shipping. I'm looking at that stuff right now. Luxe radio is the place to get caps and wire, I assume? @cmjohnson - any advice on where to get vintage correct pots and price per? Thanks.

Regards Peter.

cherrick

Reaction score
Just a suggestion but I would put an Emerson wiring harness in both guitars, '50's wiring and forget about any PCB.
Then solder in the pickups in both guitars and you're good to go.
I've got an Emerson '50's wiring harness ready to go into my 2004 R9 along with a set of Throbak KZ-115 humbuckers.
Having a wiring harness ready to go, poke in the holes and solder the pickup leads should make this very simple for you. And it should be a selling (+).

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting you go for "bumblebee" capacitors. Just use Sozos or any other good quality capacitor of the right value. I just put up that picture to show how simple the wiring is when done vintage style.

I think that the bumblebee capacitor thing is mostly smoke and mirrors. Sure, you'd want to use original correct parts if you had to replace a bad part on a valuable original guitar, but it's just a treble bleed capacitor and any decent capacitor there is going to result in the same tone as any other of the same value and construction type.

I rebuild and restore old Marshall amps. I seek out Mustard caps for them if they had them originally. But if I were to make something custom or work on an amp that was too new to have had them originally, I'd use good quality new caps but not dig into my stash of vintage mustard caps for it.

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
The "bumblebees" are nice if you want to have the vintage look inside your control cavity but they're totally not necessary to achieve your goal (unless, of course a vintage looking control cavity is part of your goal). You could even re-use the Spragues that are in there now.

Honestly, the only reason I've used them in the past is because I prefer the look over other PIO caps, and they do the job

But how often do you go looking in the control cavity anyway?

Latest Threads