Please school me on faded studios

mems

Reaction score
Hello i would love some info in Gibby les paul faded studios.I own a a Epiphone les paul standard that i really like and have a friend of a friend that i can get a Gibson les paul faded studio for a good price but i know nothing of the faded
studios,are they good guitars or something i should stay away from?What the difference between the faded and regular studio?Any year models of the fadeds to stay away from?I play mostly clean blues,blues rock,southern rock with no effects through a Vox pathfinder,i am just a hobby bedroom player.Would the Gibson faded studio be a be upgrade to my 04 Epi les paul standard?Thanks for your advice as always.
Cheers,
Jm

rikko

Reaction score
Take it for a test drive and your hands will tell you.

Many folks around here will tell you it's better,
But in the end it depends on how it feels to you.

I have a couple Epiphones and a couple of Gibbys and I love them all!

Sinster

Reaction score
What year? It's just the paint scheme.
I have a Faded Satin, but it's no longer faded. It was at one time yellow.
Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin

Now they have Faded Studio that are all Mahogany that are in Cherry and Brown. When I purchased mine it was known as Worn Brown. Prior to that it was known as Vintage Mahogany. Mine has BB Pro's installed not sure if the Mahogany Faded or VM had BB pro's installed.

Define upgrade.

Fritz44

Reaction score
Looks nice but it wears fast. Especially where your forearm rest. I bought a new 2014 LPJ with a Satin fire burst in April. The finish has worn off already :D

Fritz44

Reaction score
Define "good price". If your answer is north of $400, my response is.... that's not a "good price".

A "good price" on a guitar is a price you can list it for on Craigslist, and have it sell no-haggle in a week or less. Faded Studio over $400 doesn't meet that criteria.

They are less expensive, because there is much less finishing done on the wood (grain filler, non-ugly-paint, polishing... these are all left out of the Faded assembly line).

Oh, and based on you description of the type of playing you do.... it's not an upgrade, it's just something nice-ish. Having the bottom-of-the-line Gibson Les Paul is nothing that will inspire you to levels of greatness.

So one must spend upwards of 3000 to be inspired and reach levels of greatness? LOL Pretty sure Hendrix got his first Guitar out of a trash can :D

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
I have a yellow studio faded, and a CR8 that cost about 6 times as much, and I have to say, the studio faded is bloody good for the money. Fantastic value for money. A lot of fun - bright, lively and spanky. A real utilitarian guitar you can use without having to handle with kid gloves. Doesn't quite have the warm, violiny voice of the historic, but it sounds great, and I'd be happy to use one for any gig that needs a Les Paul.

Fritz44

Reaction score
My point is just the opposite.... going to a Faded Studio is not enough of an "upgrade" over the already-good guitar he already owns. He can create and achieve as much with what he has, as he could with the Faded.

Well.... he asked about Faded Studios..... If he had asked whether getting a Stratocaster was an upgrade over a Les Paul, I (along with Clapton, and Pete Townshend) would say YES. :D

That reply about the Strat was pretty damned good:thumb:

Comanche

Reaction score
It's a mahogany body, neck, maple cap, rosewood fingerboard with Burstbucker pickups. It's a quality guitar that's made in the USA at a reasonable price.

Sinster

Reaction score
Here is my Faded Satin Yellow
20140220_180346.jpg

My Worn Brown

gold.JPG

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Mr. Lenny Kravitz used a stock brown one quite often not long ago. He's no gear slouch in the least.

mems

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great info.I thought i would go check it out tonight,got the guys number and called him about it ,it was sold yesturday,oh well.,The price was south of $400,but after reading about them and all the great info from you guys and gals i think i will be watching for one,maybe get one if i have another chance,thanks again everyone,
Cheers,
JM

LPSPP

Reaction score
Define "good price". If your answer is north of $400, my response is.... that's not a "good price".

A "good price" on a guitar is a price you can list it for on Craigslist, and have it sell no-haggle in a week or less. Faded Studio over $400 doesn't meet that criteria.

They are less expensive, because there is much less finishing done on the wood (grain filler, non-ugly-paint, polishing... these are all left out of the Faded assembly line).

Oh, and based on you description of the type of playing you do.... it's not an upgrade, it's just something nice-ish. Having the bottom-of-the-line Gibson Les Paul is nothing that will inspire you to new levels of greatness.

Where are you seeing Gibson Faded studios for under $400?

$500 or less is a good price (Don't think I've ever seen one less than $500)
$500 - $600 avg

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great info.I thought i would go check it out tonight,got the guys number and called him about it ,it was sold yesturday,oh well.,The price was south of $400,but after reading about them and all the great info from you guys and gals i think i will be watching for one,maybe get one if i have another chance,thanks again everyone,
Cheers,
JM

I wouldn't worry about the model/finish so much, studio, studio faded, standard etc. What is most important is what your hands say when you play it. What feels right in your hands, and your pocket is what you want.

A low cost studio faded may feel better to you than a higher priced standard. Your Epi may feel better than the studio faded. Every guitar is unique. Find the one that talks to you.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I have a yellow studio faded, and a CR8 that cost about 6 times as much, and I have to say, the studio faded is bloody good for the money. Fantastic value for money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What this guy said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maccadude33

Reaction score
My faded Studio was my first Gibson and my first Les Paul. I believe they are excellent entry models into the world of Gibson LPs; not too expensive, not too blingy, but just the right amount of LP tone. The BurstBucker Pros in my LP sound good, and the faded neck is extremely comfortable.

I bought mine new in 2010 for whatever the going price was back then (~$800 or so). If you look at the used market, and you can easily find some going for half that price, as you have already discovered. Because these guitars are in the lower echelon of Gibson guitars, they don't tend to hold their value as well as their higher-end brethren. That, and they get dinged up very easily due to the fragile nature of satin/faded finishes. Make no mistake, no matter how much you baby one of these LPs, they're going to get scratched! I've put so many scratches into mine that I'm considering refinishing it. That's also another good reason to get one of these: they make for a great, somewhat inexpensive modding platform. Here's a picture of mine for example:

X019h5V.jpg

I have since replaced the toggle switch and removed the poker chip, so it looks a little different now. Anyway, it's a great workhorse guitar and I highly recommend it.

It's hard to objectively compare this group of guitars to an Epiphone LP Standard because there have been multiple faded LPs with different pickup and electronics configurations. I think some have had different wood combinations too. You'll have to sit down and compare what you have with what you're looking to buy in order to form your opinion.

rapaul76

Reaction score
I had one as my first guitar a while back that I unfortunately sold. It was a nice comfortable guitar that played wonderfully. Mine had chambered weight relief which made it really comfortable to play standing up. The only gripe I had was that it was extremely bright!!! I think that was a combination of the clambering and the BB Pros.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
Faded Gibson finishes are nice. Here's a pic of mine.

Here's a pic of the same guitar after I refinned it. I'm much happier with the finish now. It's thin nitro, and just feels better to me. I also left the outside of the maple cap a lighter color so it resembles binding.

rikko

Reaction score
faded gibson finishes are nice. Here's a pic of mine.

here's a pic of the same guitar after i refinned it. I'm much happier with the finish now. It's thin nitro, and just feels better to me. I also left the outside of the maple cap a lighter color so it resembles binding.

sexy!

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
It's a mahogany body, neck, maple cap, rosewood fingerboard with Burstbucker pickups. It's a quality guitar that's made in the USA at a reasonable price.

. . . the studio faded is bloody good for the money. . . . it sounds great . . .

. . . they are excellent entry models into the world of Gibson LPs; not too expensive, not too blingy, but just the right amount of LP tone . . .

All true!

Gibson switched from mahogany to maple on the cap . . . 2009 or 2010 I think. I think the all-mahogany version with the Burstbuckers is my favorite version. It sounds GREAT.

Latest Threads