Please recommend tools and glue for this repair

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Figure I’ll need a clamp or 2 and some glue, but not sure exactly what. Links would be awesome and some explanation too. Truss popped the fingerboard off from the body to the heel.
38A7943A-F132-4CD2-979D-8AA3B35C7130.jpeg
Thanks!

bcguitars74

Reaction score
Wow! I've not seen one like that before.

There will be more expert voices than mine but if it was mine then I'd tape up the sides and top around the fretboard to avoid glue going everywhere and then use some yellow titebond to glue it.

Ideally use a caul (very easily made, just Google fretboard clamping caul) and 3 or 4 clamps along the length.

I'd be interested to see a photo of the whole guitar if you have one there?

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow! I've not seen one like that before.

There will be more expert voices than mine but if it was mine then I'd tape up the sides and top around the fretboard to avoid glue going everywhere and then use some yellow titebond to glue it.

Ideally use a caul (very easily made, just Google fretboard clamping caul) and 3 or 4 clamps along the length.

I'd be interested to see a photo of the whole guitar if you have one there?
Closest I have now I’ll snap more

Attachments

DJGranite

Reaction score
Ok...
I recommend tools and Glue.

Someone had to :D
I haven't had that happen at that end of the guitar.
I did buy an old Epi acoustic that had that on the other (Nut) end.
I used a few pieces of pine to keep the wood from getting messed up (cauls as above), then used Titebond 1 and a couple clamps.
I wiped the excess glue off after clamping with a damp rag.
Let it sit for a couple days and strung it up. It was fine.
Edit:
Looks likeyou will need some "Deep" clamps.
I thought it was a solid body.
Id be careful with the back, make sure you get your "cauls" to sit firmly against the back and DONT over tighten.
Edit, just a thought, but I wonder if a small clamp might slip in the F-Hole and still reach the fret board. If so maybe one in each hole on either side?
That would eliminate the chance of hurting the body by clamping too tight.

Last edited:

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
To clamp that properly the resonator has to be removed, there's no way to get good pressure without crushing the guitar. Plus to do it right you need to clean up all the old glue before you re glue. I'd also want to check the neck joint, it popped up for a reason and might need more then just the board reglued.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Figure I’ll need a clamp or 2 and some glue, but not sure exactly what. Links would be awesome and some explanation too. Truss popped the fingerboard off from the body to the heel. View attachment 371020 Thanks!
Well, you can't glue glue to glue. You're going to have to get in there and expose some fresh wood. Really, if it's popped up that easy it was a never a good bond in the first place. Which means the rest of the fretboard should come up fairly easy with some Heat. Then you clean up the services glue it proper and Clamp it.

aliphatic resin glue like titebond bonds to the cellular structure of the wood, so just sticking some of that in there without cleaning the surfaces first is likely to result in the same thing happening, as soon as there is pressure forcing the two pieces apart.

LPaddicted

Reaction score
You can do like Taylor with the Baby model with screw right threw the board :naughty:

MooCheng

Reaction score
the fret board really needs to come off, first as Dave says, to clean off all the residue glue and secondly to find out whats going on with the truss rod, its likely popped the retaining strip (fillet ) which also needs gluing back in place.

the fretboard appears to have let go pretty easy so it should'nt take much to remove it completely

jvin248

Reaction score

Heating off the fretboard may be the best option, but that can easily turn into a refret job which you may not be prepared for. Start with the titebond and run a couple of strips of wood to accommodate the arc and another bock on top of those to clamp against or a fancy curved caul. Then try that. You may not need to steam it all off and refret. Could hold forever or not. If it doesn't then you'll have just as easy of a removal job later.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I understand taking the instrument half apart is probably the proper thing to do and even necessary for a good repair. Im looking at it from this angle; glue it down. If it works, great and if it doesnt then hang it on a wall and buy a real reso sometime soon (which lets face is, is bound to happen now anyway, I'm really digging the stuff from Beard and to think I didnt even stop at their NAMM booth). I do know the truss rod still turns, as its now back to center and that crack is almost flush with the body. I was also thinking a small clamp thru the f hole, would 1 clamp be enough in this case though????

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate it

Latest Threads