Please recommend the best tele style guitars MIJ.

alainguitars

Reaction score
One of my sons wants a tele but has no real experience in what to look for. I was going to buy him an american professional but I'd rather buy a good MIj tele. Please recommend brands and years. Must be lightweight! (that's my own criteria).

kakerlak

Reaction score
I always liked the old Tokai Breezysounds and MIJ Fenders (especially those '62 Custom reissues from the early nineties). Parts teles can be outstanding bang for the buck, too. Years ago I spent months trying to get $500 out of a no-issues nitro-finished Warmoth thinline with figured ash top, figured neck, gold vintage style hardware, SD Antiquities, HSC, etc. Ended up keeping the thing, lol.

currypowder

Reaction score
Probably sacrilege around here, but don't count out a MIM Classic Player Tele. I absolutely love the neck on the Classic Player 50s Tele.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Probably sacrilege around here, but don't count out a MIM Classic Player Tele. I absolutely love the neck on the Classic Player 50s Tele.
I've heard really good things about the MIM Baja teles, too. Just have no firsthand experience with either.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Should be able to grab a MIJ Fender tele from YJ for a good price.

D.K.

Reaction score
If you can find them - vintage Tokai or Greco Teles (1980-1985). A Tokai TE80 or a Greco TL800 would give you a top notch one-piece body tele, nitro finished, etc. The Greco has a huge V neck. Rgd the weight - it may vary, there are lots of light ones, mine is on the heavier side.

Last edited: