Please recommend the best tele style guitars MIJ.

alainguitars

Reaction score
One of my sons wants a tele but has no real experience in what to look for. I was going to buy him an american professional but I'd rather buy a good MIj tele. Please recommend brands and years. Must be lightweight! (that's my own criteria).

kakerlak

Reaction score
I always liked the old Tokai Breezysounds and MIJ Fenders (especially those '62 Custom reissues from the early nineties). Parts teles can be outstanding bang for the buck, too. Years ago I spent months trying to get $500 out of a no-issues nitro-finished Warmoth thinline with figured ash top, figured neck, gold vintage style hardware, SD Antiquities, HSC, etc. Ended up keeping the thing, lol.

D.K.

Reaction score
If you can find them - vintage Tokai or Greco Teles (1980-1985). A Tokai TE80 or a Greco TL800 would give you a top notch one-piece body tele, nitro finished, etc. The Greco has a huge V neck. Rgd the weight - it may vary, there are lots of light ones, mine is on the heavier side.

Last edited:

jim777

Reaction score
Late to the party but the MIM Baja Teles are superb. They don't sell them under that name (anymore), they are the "Vintera 50's Modified" now, but it's the same guitar. You can find them anywhere really, try before you buy, and you'll love the neck. That line was designed in the Custom Shop to be mass produced.

Last edited:

filtersweep

Reaction score
Late to the party but the MIM Baja Teles are superb. They don't sell them under that name, they are the "Vintera 50's Modified" now, but it's the same guitar. You can find them anywhere really, try before you buy, and you'll love the neck. That line was designed in the Custom Shop to be mass produced.
This is fact- at one point I owned five Fenders- including three Teles. The Baja is currently the only Fender I own. It is excellent- albeit a bit heavy.

Torren61

Reaction score
These mid 1970s Japanese Ibanez guitars are really sweet. I'd make an offer to total around a grand.

lakeburst

Reaction score
If it has to be a Japan Telly, as said before Tokai is the first adress!

But Fender got nice mij's too. There is a paisley model, it comes in pink and blue ...

FGN (Fujigen) also makes Telecasters in superb quality ...

https://fgnguitars.com/index.php

Last edited:

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
FGN (Fujigen) also makes Telecasters in superb quality ...

https://fgnguitars.com/index.php
yep - I do sign this

1581347578764.png

there is another one of those 6 guitars available.....
so 4 still available or already sold

https://reverb.com/item/31049035-fujigen-fgn-kntl11rmht-bb-e191215-3-58kg-limited

with it's sisters
View attachment 433624
this will be a keeper

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Your best bet for the most Tele for your coin is Fender MIM; I am currently lusting after the Vintera '60s, myself (just wish they made it sans Bigsby; that would almost drive me to the Vintera '50s - but a Bigsby's just something I don't need; I hate maple fingerboards.....)

jim777

Reaction score
It's ridiculous how good the newer MIM Fenders are, especially when you look at the cost. I got my Baja with upgraded Callaham compensated 3 piece brass saddles and the hard case for under $700. You can't beat it with a stick lol

Neffco

Reaction score
Don’t forget your Navigator’s.

And the MIJ classifieds.

Malchik

Reaction score
A MIM Player Tele is the best and easiest option. Mexico is making some great guitars.