Please recommend an amp!

ArticulateDemon

Reaction score
Hey guys... I'm about to buy my first Les Paul in the form of a black beauty, and I'm very excited! I need an amp that will do this majestic guitar justice. I play alone at home, and not really looking for something loud. I play rock, metal, ballads and folk. I'd prefer an amp that is simple to use, easily goes between clean and distortion and is overall intuitive. Budget is up to $1,000. Thanks in advance!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would, but I really don't wanna spend too much time in music shops these days. I'd rather grab something that has good word of mouth and run.

Listen a bunch of YouTubes then...reviews and such.....

What amp might be the cheeze for me may not be for you....and vice versa.... Same with anybody else and you....

Marshalls, Vox AC30, etc.... Several options that won't break the bank.... BUT each has its own colors.....

I've a Delta Blues 15, Legend A30, Blackstar Combo, old Fender Bassman, others, and had an old white JCM800 in my guitar gigging days among others....... I like all of em. They aren't the same.... Each has a unique personality and I could make em sing for me... My point is, the 'right' amp is personal.... Buying blind for an amp is not a thing I would recommend... Even listening to ME about what I like would STILL be buying blind.... I could buy blind on a Fender Del Rev, AC30, Princeton, etc.... but they may not be for you...

You need to watch vids to get an idea and then go play em....

None of these guys above are trying to steer you wrong.... They listed the amps THEY like, just as "I" did, but we're not the player. You are....

I research all options before I buy. I read, watch youtubes, read reviews, and then play what stands out.... Buy once....

BDW60

Reaction score
Hey guys... I'm about to buy my first Les Paul in the form of a black beauty, and I'm very excited! I need an amp that will do this majestic guitar justice. I play alone at home, and not really looking for something loud. I play rock, metal, ballads and folk. I'd prefer an amp that is simple to use, easily goes between clean and distortion and is overall intuitive. Budget is up to $1,000. Thanks in advance!
For home playing, if you want a variety of sounds and some basic effects, it’s pretty tough to beat a Super Champ X2. Love mine. But if you’re happy with one main amp sound, there are certainly simpler 15-20 watt amps that do their one thing well. The X2 keeps me interested.

jvin248

Reaction score

Orange 35RT. I know a guy who used one for gigging bars with a drummer for quite a while.

Used peavey Bandit.

Or get any amp that can play clean at the volume you want and get all your tones from stacked pedals.

Jay Mascics has a youtube video where he demos some pedal stacking techniques and he commented, "here's my amp tone, it's depressingly clean, ... but I use these pedals".

Truth there, the guys using an amp dirty channel for tone really have an amp shaped distortion 'pedal' that they may or may not add other pedals to. If they are out gigging they likely mic the amp that feeds into the venue PA which is basically an 'amp pedal' into a clean loud amp (PA).

Check out the Joyo American Sound pedal, it can cover most of the tones from Fender amps.

100LL

Reaction score
New a Princeton will just barely stay in budget. Pretty safe bet on that amp. It's a legend and well deserved.
You could also do a modern Marshall Origin 20 head and cab under a grand which would give you some things that you might find valuable (effects loop, master volume).

Does USB connectivity, aux in and/or line out do anything for you

ArticulateDemon

Reaction score
New a Princeton will just barely stay in budget. Pretty safe bet on that amp. It's a legend and well deserved.
You could also do a modern Marshall Origin 20 head and cab under a grand which would give you some things that you might find valuable (effects loop, master volume).

Does USB connectivity, aux in and/or line out do anything for you
Good looking amps. I'm open to all kinds of connectivity options and effects, as long as it's not overly complex. I'm a plug and play kind of guy.

Latest Threads