Please help. Which locking tuners for Gibson Black LP Custom Gold Hardware

ClassicLP

Reaction score
Hello group. Please suggest locking tuners for my Gibson black LP Custom gold hardware. I something that is easy to install -- no routing to my LP. Thank you in advance.

CB91710

Reaction score
If you have Grover Rotomatics on there now, they make direct drop-in replacements in gold with keystone or kidney keys.

ClassicLP

Reaction score
If you have Grover Rotomatics on there now, they make direct drop-in replacements in gold with keystone or kidney keys.

Thank you, sir. Gibson says the current tuners are Grover Kidney.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I'd recommend you don't do anything. Your guitar has perfectly good tuners, and a locking model won't offer any improvement other than shaving a small amount of time off of restringing at the cost of a slight weight increase.

CB91710

Reaction score
Thank you, sir. Gibson says the current tuners are Grover Kidney.
Cool.
I'm surprised your Custom has kidneys... most have keystones, but both are available.
Kidneys are a touch cheaper, and the keys themselves are interchangeable as long as you keep the hardware together (keystones are a bit longer.)

MSB

Reaction score
Cool.
I'm surprised your Custom has kidneys... most have keystones, but both are available.
Kidneys are a touch cheaper, and the keys themselves are interchangeable as long as you keep the hardware together (keystones are a bit longer.)

I was under the impression that black customs were kidneys if they came with grovers? I guess I need to pay more attention... keystones are 10x better than kidneys either way

CB91710

Reaction score
I was under the impression that black customs were kidneys if they came with grovers? I guess I need to pay more attention... keystones are 10x better than kidneys either way
Yep....

V-Headstock.jpg

CB91710

Reaction score
I meant LPs when I said black custom, either way, kidneys are ugly, keystones for the winz
I go back and forth on those.
My '14 Epi SG came with kidneys and I didn't care for them.
Upgraded the pearloid keystones and liked them, then I went to chrome keystones and they just seemed to be too much, went back to kidneys and they grew on me.
I'm leaving kidneys on my LP.

Reactions: MSB

crowemag82

Reaction score
Mine has keystone.

crowemag82

Reaction score
I meant LPs when I said black custom, either way, kidneys are ugly, keystones for the winz
I like kidneys on Standards and Studios. Keystone on Custom, SG, V, etc.....

Latest Threads