Please help - problem wiring Burstbucker pickups

shaky town

Reaction score
Hi,
I am presently going crazy trying to rewire my new 2013 LP Standard. The problem is an incessant grounding buzz. I'm not a newbie, and have done my share or wiring, but something very weird is going on with this axe. I've checked the bridge ground, rewired all pots and 3 way toggle switch twice. At this point, I believe my problem lies in either the pickup wiring, or the 3 way switch. I'm using the vintage braided wire on the 3 way, and have followed the You Tube by Billy @ RS Guitarworks.
My guitar came with the PC board, but now I'm going regular. So, does anyone know if I'm getting the Burstbucker colors right? I soldered the green and white together, and taped them off. I soldered the bare and back wires to the back of the volume pots as ground, and I soldered the red wire to the left leg of the volume pot.
Am I treating the colors right? How likely is it that I have a bum 3 way switch? I do have a new switch ready to try. I'm going for modern wiring at this point.

H E L P ! Thank You

ARandall

Reaction score
Hey - you'll get more wiring gurus if you post in the tonefreaks or pickups subforums.

Typically grounding buzz will be due to either a poor connection or interference. Post pics of your switch wiring and cavity otherwise we can only give you very general advice.

shaky town

Reaction score
well, I only have the cheap multi meter I got free at Harbor Freight Tools

robertoa1a

Reaction score
Measure the ground from your cable plugged in, to every other ground point.

robertoa1a

Reaction score
I am trying to rule out shit that may have come from the factory (like a magnet being installed backwards lol).

Next check the ohms at the end of your cable, volume and tone maxed. What does your ohm meter read in each selector switch position?

robertoa1a

Reaction score
If the entire inside cavities of your guitar is coated with black conductive paint, make sure that no bare hot wires are coming close to it. One good hiding place for this to occur is the jack. The hot part of the output jack is has a bend in that acts as a spring. If it and if it touches or gets close to the shielding paint, It will seriously confuse any tech.

I am assuming the hum you are talking about is like when you put your thumb on your cable when it is plugged into your amp. If so it means there is a short between ground and what we will call hot (for lack of a better term).

shaky town

Reaction score
THank you Robertoala, I will try that with the meter right now, before I smash the guitar, ha ha.....

Latest Threads