&&& Please help me to verify this Gibson Les Paul GT Ghost Flame $$$$

giovanivan

Reaction score
Please help me to verify this Gibson Les Paul GT Ghost Flame

I just bought Gibson GT Ghost Flame from my friend but I just wonder why the truss rod of this one is different from other Gibson Std. In the spec, they informed that this is Over/Under Truss Rod. But I am not sure whether the truss rod has been changed from the previous owner or not.

Please help me to verify from the pics below

Attachments

• _MG_7137 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_7137 (Medium).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 213
  • _MG_7146 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_7146 (Medium).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 154
  • _MG_7136 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_7136 (Medium).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 156
  • _MG_7157 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_7157 (Medium).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 181
  • _MG_7158 (Medium).JPG
    _MG_7158 (Medium).JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 146

giovanivan

Reaction score
Other pics

Attachments

• _MG_7156 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_7156 (Medium).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 89
  • _MG_7131 (Medium).JPG
    _MG_7131 (Medium).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 89
  • _MG_7133 (Medium).JPG
    _MG_7133 (Medium).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 66

giovanivan

Reaction score
Spec from MusiciansFriend.

Gibson Les Paul GT Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

The toughest machine on the road!

The perfect Les Paul for the artist with a heavy gig schedule, the Gibson Les Paul GT combines flash looks with rugged construction and super-functional appointments. Over/under dual truss rod provides extra support for the mahogany neck with robust classic '50s profile and and a lustrous bound ebony fretboard. Ghosted flame finish looks great and holds up to years of hard play while the locking Neutrik jack keeps your cable plugged in. 490R and 498T humbuckers offer coil-tap access with push-pull pots and a high-pass filter that maintains highs when you back off the volume and smoothes the taper from one to 10. Volume controls remain entirely independent even when toggle is in the middle position.

Features

• Maple top
  • Mahogany back
  • Set mahogany neck with '50s profile
  • Bound ebony fretboard
  • 490R and 490T humbuckers
  • Split-coil function
  • High-pass filter
  • Totally independent volume knobs
  • Single-ply top binding
  • Chrome hardware
  • Ghosted flame finish
  • 24-3/4" scale length

If your LP is definitely going to see a lot of hard touring, this is your baby. Order now.

Farquad

Reaction score
The guitar looks legit, but the truss rod bugs me.
I'm not an expert, but I've not seen a Gibson that uses an allen wrench to adjust the truss, they usually have a nut on the end. There is also usually a semi circular flange that the nut presses against. My guess would be that has had a truss repair done to it.
I would take it to a luthier and have them inspect it (and do a setup if needed).

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Yup looks like a socket stuck on it. I bet if you put an Allen key in there and wiggle it a little it will pop off.

Bountyhunter

Reaction score
Might have left it there figuring they'd never have to look for it again. Not that adjusting the truss rod is done daily. :hmm:

I like the guitar, but the paint is not my thing. Wouldn't stop me from owning it if I liked the way it sounded and played. :thumb:

ARandall

Reaction score
If its a dual action trussrod then it will need more than just a nut on a thread. The nut is ok for a single action rod as you only tighten it.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Uhhh...you guys DO realize that's NOT a "socket"?

Looks to me like someone replaced the original TR nut with an import/allen one? Note the lack of the half-moon washer.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The GT series was designed with a completely different truss rod than what you are used to seeing. What you see in the pictures is correct.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also, its hard to tell from the photos if this is the Candy Apple Red or the Candy Orange color.

If you can look in the neck pickup cavity, you will see the color code.

EvLectric

Reaction score
The GT series was designed with a completely different truss rod than what you are used to seeing. What you see in the pictures is correct.

Why the different truss rod? Maybe luckily, but I've never had major problems and thought I needed a double action rod on any Gibson I've ever owned. The necks not made from a different, softer wood I imagine. It just seems an odd premise to do a different model.

Also Inside Guy, now that you don't work there, can you confirm that the Clapton 335 bodies were made at Terada Japan?

circles

Reaction score
That's nice! I like how the flames are understated.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why the different truss rod? Maybe luckily, but I've never had major problems and thought I needed a double action rod on any Gibson I've ever owned. The necks not made from a different, softer wood I imagine. It just seems an odd premise to do a different model.

Also Inside Guy, now that you don't work there, can you confirm that the Clapton 335 bodies were made at Terada Japan?

The GT series was designed to incorporate many "Hot Rod" upgrades like you would find on a GT model of a car.

Look at all of the "upgrades" that were a part of the series and the dual truss rod "upgrade" makes more sense.

Was the Clapton body made in Japan?
I have no idea. Why do people think it was? I am curious to know.

I'll say this though, why would Gibson outsource the body? They have all the tooling and production in place. Why would they import bodies into the USA and pay all that freight and import charges? It doesnt make sense to me...but, sometimes Gibson does things that defy logic.

Also, the Gibson folks are VERY aware of what makes a Gibson great, and "MADE IN THE USA" is one of them. No matter how much they might say it, consumers still think that Gibson is trying to pull a fast one on them. The Gibson folks know that it would be a scandal and seriously hurt the company's reputation if they pulled something like that.

The rumors of bodies and necks made in China have been going on for years and are just not true, but people love to fan the flames.

geezberry

Reaction score
I had one of these a few years back. Great guitar!. The truss rod there definately doesnt have a socket attached to it. It would be a hex nut truss rod.The best way to find out would be to track down someone with the same guitar and find out if theirs is the same. It is possible the previous owner had the truss rod replaced with a slide in double expanding one (not good and run away) or that Gibson made this model with the dual expanding truss rod (very possible as they did a few different things with this model). I think it could be original. I think mine had the same truss rod , a dual expanding one.

Latest Threads