#### Please help me to verify my gibson lespaul 1983 ####

ARandall

Reaction score
100% genuine - the pickups are original....they look like the ink stamped pat# bobbins from that era - probably Shaws. These thing go for about $400-$500 alone.

The ashtray cover in the cavity cover is also original to that era, my 1980 deluxe had all of this shielding stuff in it too.

Go to the Norlin subforum and read the Norlin ID sticky for info on the woods composition.

Yours may or my not be a solid body. The 9-hole weight relief started in 83

giovanivan

Reaction score
100% genuine - the pickups are original....they look like the ink stamped pat# bobbins from that era - probably Shaws. These thing go for about $400-$500 alone.

The ashtray cover in the cavity cover is also original to that era, my 1980 deluxe had all of this shielding stuff in it too.

Go to the Norlin subforum and read the Norlin ID sticky for info on the woods composition.

Yours may or my not be a solid body. The 9-hole weight relief started in 83

Thanks for your info. But I am sure that mine is not weight relief as he is heaviest out of my 4 lespauls

giovanivan

Reaction score
Thank you all for your value info.

How much for this one should have in the market ?

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Droog

Reaction score
Thanks for your info. But I am sure that mine is not weight relief as he is heaviest out of my 4 lespauls

It is weight relieved. Gibson began weight relieving all Les Pauls in 1981. Not that it matters if it sounds and plays great. :shock:

candletears7

Reaction score
Weight relief began in 1983, not 1981.
1982 was the first year the volute went out and then swiss cheesing began in '83.
You can get it xray'd if you gotta know, but if it plays and sounds great, then rock that thing.
Its a fine looking guitar.

Droog

Reaction score
Weight relief began in 1983, not 1981.
1982 was the first year the volute went out and then swiss cheesing began in '83.
You can get it xray'd if you gotta know, but if it plays and sounds great, then rock that thing.
Its a fine looking guitar.

Memory sucks I guess. As per Les Paul 101 sticky.

Gibson USA
Weight-relief started around 1982 Every Gibson USA Les Paul between 1982 - 2007 is weight-relieved. They do not have solid-body construction. Weight-relief is also known as "swiss cheese holes" and refers to the nine holes drilled out of the body in order to reduce the weight of the guitar.

Still a weight relieved gee tar

:shock:

rikko

Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert, but that bridge looks strange to me.
I thought they all had the post holes on both sides (Regardless if they are ABR or Nashville-which yours seems to be).

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
Looks good ...but bro get a photobucket account and post bigger pics.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's beautiful. I love it!!!!

I believe Gibson used maple necks on all natural finished Les Pauls back then...not sure if they still do that but they just look right this way...haha. I have 2 with maple necks. A natural 79 Custom and a natural 80 Standard. Maple necks are fantastic and I prefer them over my 05 Custom or 01 Standard which have mahogany necks. I am also in the dark about the bridge on yours. It doesn't look like the one on my 80 Standard but who knows....

Looks to be the original Shaw pickups but you have missed out on the volute and solidbody years. The volute is one sweet feature on the older Les Pauls. They should have never stopped using them as they probably saved many Les Pauls from neck snaps.

The case looks very similar to the original Gibson case for my 1980. It's pictured on the right. I have 3 different types of cases. The 05 Custom and 01 Standard came in the caramel colored cases on the left, My 79 Custom came in the chainsaw case (middle) and the 80 Standard came in the peanut case on the right. It's funny because both the cases for my newer Les Pauls are all beat up...but the old ones are in perfect "like new" condition. :laugh2:

You can see that I prefer a natural finish :D

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Back in '88(?) or so I had a 83-85 Standard. Here's the only pic I have of it. It weighted about 14-15 lb. Iirc the case was the "chainsaw" Gibson case. Even it did not have the original pu's. The previous owner had put a DiMarzio in the lead position. That one looks really nice considering it's 30 years old!

82-les-paul.jpg

ARandall

Reaction score

The reason they did weight relief is that the available wood at that time was very heavy - so its not surprising that you still have a quite heavy guitar.

Slappy2x

Reaction score
That bridge is also period correct......I have an '83 with the same exact stock bridge (no post holes)...

She's gorgeous........CONGRATS!

SS+Beauty%2521.JPG

Nice score with those Shaw PU's, as well!

giovanivan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much it should be if I will sell her ?

Thanks

Latest Threads