Please help me to verify my 1989 Gibson Standard

giovanivan

Reaction score
Hi ,

Just bought 1989 Gibson Standard from my friend but the serial number on headstock back especially no. 8 on the fist digit looks weird to me.

Please help me to verify this.

Thxs

Attachments

• _MG_6749 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6749 (Medium).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 101
  • _MG_6754 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6754 (Medium).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 112
  • _MG_6753 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6753 (Medium).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 84
  • _MG_6732 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6732 (Medium).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 105
  • _MG_6734 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6734 (Medium).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 98

giovanivan

Reaction score
Please see the digit number

Attachments

• _MG_6759 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6759 (Medium).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 71
  • _MG_6761 (Medium).JPG
    _MG_6761 (Medium).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 103
  • _MG_6767 (Medium).JPG
    _MG_6767 (Medium).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 65
  • _MG_6735 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6735 (Medium).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 74
  • _MG_6744 (Medium).JPG
    _MG_6744 (Medium).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 56

giovanivan

Reaction score
Not sure this one is real gibson or not because the check list from Yamano is different serial no. compared with the head stock

Attachments

• _MG_6768 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6768 (Medium).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 178
  • _MG_6770 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6770 (Medium).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_6769 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6769 (Medium).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_6746 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6746 (Medium).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_6745 (Medium).jpg
    _MG_6745 (Medium).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 50

Sinster

Reaction score
The only thing that looks off to me is the headstock and the paint in the cavities, but everything else looks good. That's just my opinion. I'm not a Les Paul expert. I'm going off information that I gather from my time being on these forums.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The guitar is "real".

The wrong serial number on the Yamano certificate doesn't mean it's not genuine.
They must have mixed up the cases (containing the documents) between two guitars.
It happens when they put guitars on display and the cases and boxes are set aside
until a guitar is sold. Then a guy working the warehouse is called to bring the case.
Some warehouse people don't realize the importance of matching the case with the
guitar, for them , a case is a case. They know nothing about the documents inside
pertaining to a particular instrument. If they have any difficulty finding "the" case,
they will bring any they can find. If the salesperson and/or the customer doesn't check,
the case mix-up is complete.

That "certificate" from Yamano is particular to them.
Regular production models don't come with more than tags so there is no value loss except maybe in Japan.

That said, the guitar is absolutely gorgeous!
Congratulations!

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The guitar is "real".

The wrong serial number on the Yamano certificate doesn't mean it's not genuine.
They must have mixed up the cases (containing the documents) between two guitars.
It happens when they put guitars on display and the cases and boxes are set aside
until a guitar is sold. Then a guy working the warehouse is called to bring the case.
Some warehouse people don't realize the importance of matching the case with the
guitar, for them , a case is a case. They know nothing about the documents inside
pertaining to a particular instrument. If they have any difficulty finding "the" case,
they will bring any they can find. If the salesperson and/or the customer doesn't check,

Regular production models don't come with more than tags so there is no value loss except maybe in Japan.

Congratulations!

^^This exactly

giovanivan

Reaction score
The guitar is "real".

Congratulations!

Thanks Bob for the info

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I can't see well enough on the screen I am using but isn't it missing the nibs?

Sinster

Reaction score
Did Gibson use paint in their cavities?
The open book doesn't look as pronounced again just could be the angle.
The neck angle doesn't look right, but that just could be the angle the picture was taken.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ if you mean 'did they think that taping over cavities was a waste of time and effort', then the answer is yes. Also it helps having a finish on this wood too - all over protection and all that.

jimmyp1

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar. The headstock threw me off as well..I don't know if it the angle but the "O" in gibson is a complete circle?? The s looks a little funky too. Might be me though. I need another beer..lol

giovanivan

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar. The headstock threw me off as well..I don't know if it the angle but the "O" in gibson is a complete circle?? The s looks a little funky too. Might be me though. I need another beer..lol

Thanks

lunchbox

Reaction score
It's an '89 LP that looks to have had a re-fret.

Latest Threads