Please help me fix my Black Beauty! Cracks in the poly around the nut

shupe13

Reaction score
I might be mistaken but, doesn't the number 2 stamped above the serial number indicate its a factory second, which in turn denotes a cosmetic blemish? It may have been shipped/sold in that condition but was guaranteed structurally sound.

cgm

Reaction score
If you want to fill it in get a small bottle of polyurethane and and a very thin small brush, some different grades of fine wet sand paper and 0000 steel wool. Then carefully fill it in in layers until it's just a slight bit higher than the original finish and then wet sand it down and steel wool it with 0000 steel wool. Polish with some car polish to a gloss.
I think this will be my plan. First, I am going to have my luthier take a look at it on Friday just to confirm that there is no issues besides aesthetics. I have been trying to do some research to see if there is anything I can do to make the transition from the old to the new poly pretty seamless. Any particular brand of poly that you would recommend? How about the minwax in the video i posted earlier?

I might be mistaken but, doesn't the number 2 stamped above the serial number indicate its a factory second, which in turn denotes a cosmetic blemish? It may have been shipped/sold in that condition but was guaranteed structurally sound.
This is possible. There is also another small imperfection under the horn... who knows which one caused the "2nd" stamp. Besides those two things, this thing is in GREAT shape.

I found this one sold from Sheldon Guitars HERE , In the description, he makes it seem like this happens from time-to-time.
"There's some paint touch up on the neck binding near the nut visible by clicking HERE. I dunno if the binding separated a bit (something I've seen on other Epi LP Customs) or what but it looks and feels solid. "

I am always hesitant when a seller claims that damage is fine... I just want the piece of mind that it will provide me with years of worry-free (poor quality) guitar playing. If I decide to sell it, I want to make sure that the buyer doesn't have to worry about it. I thought it was worth the risk.

The damage looks pretty similar to mine. I think I can make a better repair than this one. I think if I take Skit's advice and take my time building up the poly, I can then sand it down smooth so it can't be felt when I move up and down the fretboard.

After I am finished with the repair, then I get to look into a fret dressing and polish, the possibility of a roller bridge and start to think about an electronics upgrade.

Does anyone have any experience with THIS ebay special rolelr bridge?

shupe13

Reaction score
I think this will be my plan. First, I am going to have my luthier take a look at it on Friday just to confirm that there is no issues besides aesthetics.
I wouldn't have had an issue buying your LP, but a big hells no on the white one. Lord only knows what happened to it. Plus one on the luthier. Just for peace of mind.

cgm

Reaction score
Update: I brought it to the luthier today... I did not get the news I was hoping for. The fretboard is starting to pull away on the first two frets, there is some evidence that someone tried to superglue it in the past.

It is repairable, but now I am faced with the decision

1) Pay to have it fixed. He estimated at $200 for the repair, fixing the nut, full fret dress and set up.

2) Try to fix it myself. This is what I had planned to do. He showed my what he would have to do to get the glue out. I think I can handle it. Then, it is just tightbonding the board and clamping it. I would then put a graphtec tusk nut in. I was already planning on trying to learn how to dress the frets myself on this.

3) sell it for what I can and cut my losses.

I learned an important lesson... four days after a vascetomy., I shouldn't drive an hour and a half each way to trade guitars. I was in too much pain to really look into the guitar when I was there. Everything besides the neck issue was perfect, so I took a risk. Looks like it didn't pay off this time. My lutheir was impressed with how nice and straight the neck is. It is a nice instrument for what it is. If i try to fix it myself, maybe i will learn a few other things.

Needless to say, I am pretty bummed out.

ScaryFatKidGT

Reaction score
Update: I brought it to the luthier today... I did not get the news I was hoping for. The fretboard is starting to pull away on the first two frets, there is some evidence that someone tried to superglue it in the past.
This is what I was going to say, I'm a noob and I don't know why others didn't see it but its is super glued but, with to much glue it looks like, so it is still rising off of the neck, they probably didn't clamp it after gluing it.

I wouldn't sell it unless you find someone that knows what is wrong with it and is planning on fixing it.

I day pay the $200 or fix it but it is up to you if you think you can handle it and want to take the risk of the headache and having to pay the $200 in the end either way

cgm

Reaction score
This is what I was going to say, I'm a noob and I don't know why others didn't see it but its is super glued but, with to much glue it looks like, so it is still rising off of the neck, they probably didn't clamp it after gluing it.

I wouldn't sell it unless you find someone that knows what is wrong with it and is planning on fixing it.

I day pay the $200 or fix it but it is up to you if you think you can handle it and want to take the risk of the headache and having to pay the $200 in the end either way
If I were to sell it, I would give a full disclosure about the problems. I think I am going to fry to fix it.

Paulverine

Reaction score
May I ask where you bought this guitar a friend of mine has one stolen roughly around the same time as your post, and the main discernable feature was a very similar crack and fracture in the neck.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
May I ask where you bought this guitar a friend of mine has one stolen roughly around the same time as your post, and the main discernable feature was a very similar crack and fracture in the neck.
OP hasn't been on the forum since last June

moreles

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't get high-res pics when the OP images blow up on my laptop, because I think there's a lot of bad analysis in this thread. Given the verbal descriptions, I am not surprised that your luthier has some serious concerns. There were initial red flags which various responses minimized with the familiar "don't worry about it" advice. Trusting the seller is common, but in this case the guy was either ignorant or more or less dishonest. The effed up Bigsby is evidence of his lack of knowledge. In my opinion, a flawed Epi is not worth luthier's fees, so I would fix this on my own, which I have the experience to do. Since I can't see the high res images, I don't know whether I would encourage you to try or not. I would be really pissed if I had to throw a couple hundred at an Epi.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't get high-res pics when the OP images blow up on my laptop, because I think there's a lot of bad analysis in this thread. Given the verbal descriptions, I am not surprised that your luthier has some serious concerns. There were initial red flags which various responses minimized with the familiar "don't worry about it" advice. Trusting the seller is common, but in this case the guy was either ignorant or more or less dishonest. The effed up Bigsby is evidence of his lack of knowledge. In my opinion, a flawed Epi is not worth luthier's fees, so I would fix this on my own, which I have the experience to do. Since I can't see the high res images, I don't know whether I would encourage you to try or not. I would be really pissed if I had to throw a couple hundred at an Epi.
You aren't getting clear pictures because this thread is 7 years old and Photobucket blurred the images.
Thread got reopened this week because someone saw the guitar and was concerned it may have been stolen from a friend prior to the OP buying it.