please help me choose a 1x12 cabinet

csan

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a 1x12 cabinet. My gear:
Tokai Love Rock guitar, with Pearly Gate neck pickup and DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup.
Blackheart Handsome Devil Amp.
Like ZZ Top style blues and rock.

In my local guitar shop the're selling a Vox V112NT. It has a Celestion/Vox Greenback speaker, 25W, 16 Ohms, 10kg.
In the same price-range an alternative is the Blackstar HTV-112, with a Celestion speaker, 80W:shock: 16 Ohms, 18kg.

Will the 80W cabinet be much louder than the 25W?
How much of a difference will the cabinet make in the sound?
Are there better alternatives given my music style?

Thanks!

mmd

Reaction score
take you amp and guitar, go to the shop and try each out. let your ears decide for you!!

csan

Reaction score
Good advice, thanks. But they have only got the vox in the shop, so there's nothing to compare it with.

Rhust

Reaction score
imo the actual cabinet makes very little difference.. speaker choice makes a difference, open vs closed (or convertible closed to open) makes a difference...

imo, you can build as good a cabinet as you can buy, and spend more on a better speaker. that's what I did 20 years ago, and I still have the cabinet and speakers. or get something like an avatar cabinet and load it with speakers YOU like.

re speaker wattage... and 80w cabinet is not necessarily louder than a 25 watt cabinet..
this is the power handling of the speaker in the cabinet... that's all...

what determines loudness is usually called "sensitivity" which is how how loud, in decibels the speaker is using 1 watt 1 meter as a rule

instrument speakers are more sensitive than normal "household" speakers and are thus, louder, but they are focused on reproducing a smaller range of sound, more accurately. some speakers will also "color" the sound (eminence comes to mind)... others attempt to be as transparent as possible.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you decide you want to try building your own cabinet, try these dimensions (they can be open OR closed back)...

17"x17"x15.5"
17"x15"x11"
24"x20"x11"

These are the dimensions of commercially available 1x12 cabinets - so obviously it is not all that critical.

Stuff in a good speaker - Texas Heat, Weber California, etc etc and you're all set.

mikethebumperman

Reaction score
I would actually order a speaker box that matches the Blackheart handsome devil. Those cabs compliment their respective heads quite well.

Just don't be too hasty. If all you run is a 112 box, it can make a big difference in your sound.

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I realize these are probably too costly, but here are some builders who make great stuff!

Sour Mash Guitar Cabs
https://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com
http://burnhamamplification.com

eye candy from stoneage:
1x12_black_snp_gold_bmc_no_piping.....33.jpg

Latest Threads