Please HELP!:) 2011 les paul traditional exclusive edition

Pinkie

Reaction score
So he thinks its a 50's neck now?
I don't understand why you worry what number it is.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
My experience has been that Gibsons 50s and 60s neck dimensions (and their necks in general) tend to be all over the place. I have a 60s profile on my LP but it's on the thicker side of things (which I like as I have big hands). For this reason it's best to play before you pay to be sure it's what you want. As to the truss rod adjustment it does look like you have a lot of relief. It may have been fine when it was done but it can take up to a day to settle in. Just take it back to whoever did the work and have them straighten it out a bit. Not sure this will help you get to grips with the neck (no pun intended). I would get that done, play it for a few days and if you find you just can't get along with it send it back or trade it for one that you find more to your liking.

Hope that's helpful

valenciaonfire

Reaction score
yeah that is helpful! thanks man! and im not concerned about the numbers at all i just thought i would throw them out there so you guys would know what model i was referring to. and then colchar got on me for my mistakes in production number lol

valenciaonfire

Reaction score
well long and maquade said if gibson told me it was a 50s neck then it is. i called gibson last night

DanL

Reaction score
No idea about the neck size question - sorry.

Is it just me or does it look like there's a ton of relief in that neck?

Looks like a lot of relief to me too! Either way, who cares what Gibson labeled the neck as? I've played 50's necks that are slimmer than some 60's and vise versa, it literally doesn't mean jack unless you're buying it online and that's the only reference you have about the neck size.

Butttttttttt, that is a gorgeous finish. Absolutely love that faded honey burst!! :thumb:

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No it was not. It was the 325th stamped on that particular day. Why come here asking for info then claim something else? These guitars were limited to 250 and Gibson did not change their serial number system for this model.

Maybe ease up on the guy a bit? He's asking for help and being polite about it. He didn't claim anything he said "maybe". Seems innocent enough.

Definitely some serious relief in that neck.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe ease up on the guy a bit? He's asking for help and being polite about it. He didn't claim anything he said "maybe". Seems innocent enough.

At the time it came across as asking about something he didn't know and then questioning the responses as if they were wrong.

But your point is taken. I'm having a crappy day and that probably came through in my response.

brokenarrow5

Reaction score
enjoy your guitar, maybe stop in at the guitar store and try some 50 and 60 necks, then you will be able to tell what yours is--

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
At the time it came across as asking about something he didn't know and then questioning the responses as if they were wrong.

But your point is taken. I'm having a crappy day and that probably came through in my response.

All good, brother. I hope your day gets better. :)

valenciaonfire

Reaction score
thanks guys the neck feels great, its a little smaller than an epiphione 50s neck and a little bigger than a 60`s gibson i compared it to and almost chunkier in spots but maybe thats because of the relief.
Colchar thanks for the response, ive read your responses on here for the past year or so after just making my account today. I had no clue about the serial numbers on the back of gibsons until today so thanks bud!:thumb: but yeah i seriously gotta get that neck tightend.
should I tighten it myself? a friend told me to do it a 16th of a turn at a time.
also should i use any oils on it?

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
should I tighten it myself? a friend told me to do it a 16th of a turn at a time.
also should i use any oils on it?

Oils on what? The fretboard? If you want just use some lemon oil available at L&M. As for the top, I have never used any and don't think any are needed.

As for the truss rod, if you know how to do it then go ahead. If not, take it back to L&M and have their tech tweak it. Should only take him a minute. Whenever my tech works on mine and sets it up it is fine for a couple of days and then, once it has settled, I get some fret buzz. I'm the store all the time so I just take it to him while there on a visit and have him give it the smallest tweak and it is good for ages after that.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
All good, brother. I hope your day gets better. :)

Thanks, it didn't but at least it is over. Time to watch the hockey game, do some simple adjustments on the new Strat, and then to play for a while as I've got a song I want to get down before the weekend.

Pinkie

Reaction score
Just a 1/4 turn at a time give it a few min to settle.

Latest Threads