Reaction score
please delete

Last edited:

HIDDEN

Reaction score
I would think it would add value to it

smk506

Reaction score
I dwell more in the Gibson USA budget than the historics to be fair, but I wouldn’t consciously pay more for them.

It’s little stuff like that that might make me more likely to give your guitar the nod over another at a similar price point though.

If you’re paying someone to install them with the notion of selling the guitar I’d probably just sell it and and the inlays to be honest.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how old........pre-2003, i would say yes it would since early models are so much off mark with later specs.

Those early Historics had those rounded corner inlays which bug me,...i would pay more for that detail....or i should say i would pick that one over others.

Some of those early re-issues had awesome tops.... i just don't like those rounded Traps or the green Klusons either.

But that is just me.

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the buyer, what they’re looking for, etc.

A collector who is going to flip out if the original strap pins has been replaced with Schallers will probably not like the new inlays, whereas a player may appreciate the change.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Compared to the price of the guitar the inlay swap is a drop in the bucket.

It's something I'd let the new owner decide.

I know I'd feel comfortable having my guy do the swap but I'd be leery of some unknown to me luthier who did the work.

buckwild

Reaction score
Depends if the older guitar is a players spec type or one that’s more of a collectable like say a 94 Murphy or maybe a 99 40th anniversary. On a standard run thats got wear it’s not gonna effect value if it’s a good clean job. If it’s an otherwise mint or possibly collector piece it’s going to negatively impact the value IMO

catstrat

Reaction score
Personally, any alteration that can't be easily reversed reduces the price I'm willing to pay because I always factor in the cost of having said alteration reversed / fixed. There's just too many dodgy operators out there that I'd be worried about having a loose inlay on my hands (literally and figuratively) after buying it.

The exception is if the work has been done by someone reputable that I trust, and that I trust the seller is being honest when they said who did it.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Shouldn't make a difference either way as long as you like them.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
It's a 2007, and the DJ inlays would be installed by...DJ.
Your 2007 wouldn't have rounded inlay corners, that ended in 2002, personally I would do it. You would just be replacing the inlays and not cutting out any rosewood. I did it once and the guitar looked much better afterwards (only something a LP nut would notice).

In my opinion, value difference would be $0 in this case but would exclude OCD buyers who insist on 100% originality.

Clint

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar. What's wrong with the 2007 inlays? Replacing the stock inlays won't change anything other than devalue it (to some buyers) so I'd leave it alone if you are concerned about future value.

buckwild

Reaction score
anything DJ has done/touched is gold! and also 07 is a great year. Get that guitar!

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to post my old thread on it but cant find it ....but here is the series of photos I used ....this was a 2011 R9 that eventually went to Historic Makeovers ....I still have these exact inlays...Kim removed them gently and returned them because he had a more dynamic set ....I like these and they will probably go into the 2014 R8....

Scroll down to see all the pics

You need to make a filler out of rosewood dust and Cyano glue ....its best to use dust rom a like board. You will also see I darkened the backs of the inlays with a black sharpie...If you really look at older inlay from the 50's the Mazucelli factory sometimes added a smidgen of green ....(which might be where the "greenie" crap came from) .....but random marker works real well

Les Paul Inlays | Cygnus Observatory

decoy205

Reaction score
If DJ does the install it’d be worth more in my eyes. Great looking R9!

Latest Threads