Please critique my mix

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I recently started using a Plugin Alliance plug-in called ADPTR A/B, which allows you to quickly click back and forth between your mix and whatever reference tracks you are using. This has been really helpful in getting the relationships between the different instruments to sound good. It's also great for comparing your stereo field, dynamics, EQ, etc. with a pro mix.

So I downloaded the stems for this song from the Cambridge music website.... there's tons of free songs you can mix. Most of them are recorded really well.
https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk-newbies/

The song I picked reminds me of Maroon 5 "This Life", so I used that as a reference track.

Looking for brutal feedback, particularly regarding the stereo field and the bass.

Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/rocco-crocco%2Fthe-brew-what-i-want-mix-2

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just an opinion/my taste so take with a grain of salt.

Bass is nice. If anything could come up a hair.
The point, or click of the kick is too forward.
The vocals are sitting too hi on top of the mix.
When the chorus kicks in I want to hear more harmonic content/pressure/width from midrange instruments

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Just an opinion/my taste so take with a grain of salt.

The vocals are sitting too hi on top of the mix.
Thank you Freddy -- I value your opinion very much..... vocals too high on top of the mix meaning loud or like too much treble?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thank you Freddy -- I value your opinion very much..... vocals too high on top of the mix meaning loud or like too much treble?

I meant too loud. I think you might find that for the vox to couch in the mix if you lower the volume on the vox you probably have to compress them more.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the link to that song? I'm curious to see what you started with. I really like the vibe of that.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I meant too loud. I think you might find that for the vox to couch in the mix if you lower the volume on the vox you probably have to compress them more.
+1 on the vocal mix - the rest is good, though the guitar compression could come down if that's on your end.

Latest Threads