Please consider not deleting your post after sale...

Should FS or Trade listings be retained after sale or trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PierM

Reaction score
When you delete the thread it pretty much keeps it from getting bumped and cluttering up the front fee pages....like this thread. Keeps the “is this still available” comments on a thread that is 4 years old from happening. Lol

Just add "SOLD" to the thread title, and everyone's happy.

Life is easy when we don't overcomplicate it.

TheX

Follower of the Tao of Edro
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What better place than the classifieds to discuss the selling of shit in the classifieds

There is no better place...until it runs its course and ends up here.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting it in the wrong place. Things move pretty quickly in the classifieds so I doubt that leaving the post up really affects the flow. There is enough attitude here to not bring it up again. Being able to view what has been sold to see a trend is a horrible idea.

Zungle

Reaction score
On the topic....

Leaving old or completed ads up is lame..

Screen shot the ad if you need to go back and take a look.....

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve never understood the practice of earasing the message and replacing it ‘mods please delete’, especially since they never actually seem to be deleted.

I agree that leaving them up is useful for reference, in fact at a previous job hunting down sales threads for pricing reference was a big part of my day to day.

I guess the real question is what’s the motivation for erasing/deleting them?

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess as the buyer the safe thing to do is to take screen shots before sending the payment. But, yes, it would be nice if these posts could be retained for at least a certain amount of time.

What I have always done, buying and selling, is to include details in the PayPal notes that go with the payment. In other words, send $1,600 and leave a note that says "For 2009 Gibson Les Paul, serial number xxxxxxx, and case." You could be more detailed if you want. I would never just send thousands of dollars to do someone without indicating what I was buying!

Roxy13

Reaction score
What I have always done, buying and selling, is to include details in the PayPal notes that go with the payment. In other words, send $1,600 and leave a note that says "For 2009 Gibson Les Paul, serial number xxxxxxx, and case." You could be more detailed if you want. I would never just send thousands of dollars to do someone without indicating what I was buying!

I do that as well.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess the real question is what’s the motivation for erasing/deleting them?

Cuts down on fake/fraudulent ads in which scammers copy photos and descriptions from previous listings. Helps resellers who see a good deal with potential for profit on the flip that could be hurt by a searchable record of previous sale price. Prevents annoying resurrection of long-sold posts (as mentioned, the "is this still available?" phenomenon). If erased/deleted, helps keep classifieds more tidy and easily browsed.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I had a similar moment.... it was unnerving to se the thread info disappear right after payment...

I wanted to go back and verify what to expect, simply to look. But not to be. I had to wait till delivery.

I think its an etiquette thing and one should copy and save the as a receipt of sorts, packing list if you will.

Its the internet... buyer be extremely aware.... and prepared to do battle...or take the hit.

However most folks on this forum especially have been extremely honorable and just in all the deals I ever participate in.

If your having issue contact a Mod .... that kind of behavior should not be tolerated.

Have you tried to settle with the seller?

My mentioned deal went fine btw....
I personally love guitar pics unless the new owner or you want to take it down just say its sold and let folks admire.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Cuts down on fake/fraudulent ads in which scammers copy photos and descriptions from previous listings. Helps resellers who see a good deal with potential for profit on the flip that could be hurt by a searchable record of previous sale price. Prevents annoying resurrection of long-sold posts (as mentioned, the "is this still available?" phenomenon). If erased/deleted, helps keep classifieds more tidy and easily browsed.
Not trying to be rude here Duane but since there are 3119 pages with 5.4K threads in the Member Classifieds how does this make any sense? There are thousands of pics on the web if someone is looking for pics to make a fraudulent ad.

TheX

Follower of the Tao of Edro
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to be able to search for sellers to see how past conversations went. I don't see a need to delete them.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
The terms of a contract should always be retained by seller and buyer.
Listing the condition of goods is part of your contract.

IE. I've bought cars and took a screenshots of the listing, containing their various advertised attributes.
I keep it until I've sold the car.
[PrtScrn] is your friend.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
When you delete the thread it pretty much keeps it from getting bumped and cluttering up the front fee pages....like this thread. Keeps the “is this still available” comments on a thread that is 4 years old from happening. Lol
No big deal. :dunno:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are thousands of pics on the web if someone is looking for pics to make a fraudulent ad.

Sure, but there aren't thousands of sources of what are essentially galleries of pics of the same guitar, often with serial number included. This is one-stop shopping for a fraudulent listing, and let's face it: Many of the nicest and most valuable Les Pauls on the market pass through these classifieds and Les Pauls are among the most expensive models of electric guitar, period.

I agree with everyone suggesting to take screen shots of a listing before buying, but I just don't think a seller has any obligation to leave an ad up indefinitely.

Latest Threads