Playing free tonight

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I had a gig at a local bar and had to change dates....played that one and they hired me again and I was sick so I canceled. I told em since I had so many issues getting a gig in, that I would come tonight and play a show for free before the OSU game.

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope it brings you many more gigs.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Damn Steve, we should find that thread you started before your first gig and do a retrospective.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Damn Steve, we should find that thread you started before your first gig and do a retrospective.
Seems like forever ago. I am slowing down the solo stuff and to be honest I couldn't care less about the money. I am not gonna play for nothing ( this was an exception) but not hung up on how much I am getting paid anymore. I think I am decent at the solo stuff and I really enjoy it. Hopefully the band stuff works ..... we will find out shortly. Speaking of the band......I just had a place contact me about doing some solo gigs. I told em about the band and they offered a date and asked how much. I told her that given what they pay me for solo I figure $400 and a bar tab would be fair.... she said USUALLY we only do $100 per person on non holiday weekends (4pc band so....) but the best I can do for you guys is $550.00. That's the second time I have had someone counter with a higher offer.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like forever ago. I am slowing down the solo stuff and to be honest I couldn't care less about the money. I am not gonna play for nothing ( this was an exception) but not hung up on how much I am getting paid anymore. I think I am decent at the solo stuff and I really enjoy it. Hopefully the band stuff works ..... we will find out shortly. Speaking of the band......I just had a place contact me about doing some solo gigs. I told em about the band and they offered a date and asked how much. I told her that given what they pay me for solo I figure $400 and a bar tab would be fair.... she said USUALLY we only do $100 per person on non holiday weekends (4pc band so....) but the best I can do for you guys is $550.00. That's the second time I have had someone counter with a higher offer.
I have never understood the "per man" thing myself. For a venue, it's all about a budget and what they usually pay. Our bare minimum is $600 now. We have 5 guys. It's got nothing to do with per man, it's got to do with what other acts get paid. After a little over a year, we are gaining some traction over a nice sized area (100 mile radius or so).

So Steve, I get the $400, but as you can see, you might be selling yourself short. $500 minimum, but make sure you bring people. The type of music you guys are playing, you need to bring a crowd.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have never understood the "per man" thing myself. For a venue, it's all about a budget and what they usually pay. Our bare minimum is $600 now. We have 5 guys. It's got nothing to do with per man, it's got to do with what other acts get paid. After a little over a year, we are gaining some traction over a nice sized area (100 mile radius or so).

So Steve, I get the $400, but as you can see, you might be selling yourself short. $500 minimum, but make sure you bring people. The type of music you guys are playing, you need to bring a crowd.
Yeah ... the stuff we play is either gonna be very popular or completely bomb. I don't think there will be an in between at all. So far the practice videos have been very popular but that rarely translates to asses in seats. Sat night will give us a bit of an idea but first gigs are usually full of friends and family.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah ... the stuff we play is either gonna be very popular or completely bomb. I don't think there will be an in between at all. So far the practice videos have been very popular but that rarely translates to asses in seats. Sat night will give us a bit of an idea but first gigs are usually full of friends and family.
Knock em' dead brother!

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Its getting closer lol... gonna have quick practice fri night and we are off to the races sat. I have a feeling that the place is gonna be packed. If it is like usual however they will have one bartender who stays up front and never ventures back to take drink orders.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Wow.......to call that fantastic would be an understatement. Maybe just first gig excitement but packed all night. Crowd stomping feet and clapping hands

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow.......to call that fantastic would be an understatement. Maybe just first gig excitement but packed all night. Crowd stomping feet and clapping hands
Awesome!! Glad to hear it was a success!

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
If any of you have ever seen the movie OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU when they are on stage singing and the crowd goes nuts. The guys in the band look at each other like WTF....our first song got that reaction and me and the mandolin player had the same WTF moment. As you guys know I was worried about the music not being well received. I could not have been more wrong. At least for last night. From the very first line of SAME OLD MAN to the last line of the last song the place was PACKED and the audience clapped along and cheered after every song. A friend of mine who comes to my solo shows on occasion was there. I told him I needed a straight honest critique. He said. I HAVE BEEN SETTING HERE FOR 2.5 HOURS. IF ITBWAS NOT GOOD I WOULDA ALREADY LEFT.

Latest Threads