Players You Like

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I have seen and heard people call it buzzsaw style but here is a description from
the Thalia Capo website:

"Neil Young's “primitive” playing style goes resolutely against the grain of what
we expect from a “great” lead guitarist, it's anti-technique and often eschews tasty,
musical licks for piercing, disruptive playing. Infamously, as George Harrison hinted at,
Young will often play single string, or even single-note solos."

If you read the article, George Harrison while taking with Bob Geldorf, says
how much he hated Neil Youngs lead work.
Who is this George Harrison fellow?

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neil Young's lead work would not work for the Beatles. George would be out of place fronting Crazy Horse.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neil Young's lead work would not work for the Beatles. George would be out of place fronting Crazy Horse.
I think what George (at the time he was saying he hated Neil's leads) and Neil
both put emotion into their playing. They both do/did it differently.

Many roads to the same destination.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
It also contributed to a lot of confusion. Many people tolerate barely playable excessively thick necks thinking that they sustain better. They don't.

I also always preferred thicker necks in line with the log concept until I noticed that most quality guitars with thin necks actually sustain just as well if not better.

This concept also caused or contributed to the anti-chambered body craze. As I realize now the chambered LPs are actually very good. They definitely have more resonance which is something what master luthiers are always after. Now I understand why Gibson was so surprised and perplexed when they faced the anti chambered body sentiment. They honestly thought that chambering was an improvement.

Chambered PRS or Teles cost premium and musicians love them. Les Pauls? Nobody wants them. This is not rational.

The "log" concept is actually very misleading. This guitar goes against it and it is nearly perfect:

Well, I want them! Every Lester I've ever owned, except the first, was chambered. And my Tele is, too.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Well, I want them! Every Lester I've ever owned, except the first, was chambered. And my Tele is, too.
I've always wanted a chambered LP. Not sure if any current models are chambered, but I'd like to find a good one.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I've always wanted a chambered LP. Not sure if any current models are chambered, but I'd like to find a good one.
Musha, all Standards in 2008, including Fadeds, were chambered, some in 2006 and 7, too. After 2008, if the guitar is an '08 spec", it's chambered. They made them up to 2012, I think. Or maybe'13. And as far as I know, all Classic Antiques made in 2007 and 8 are, too.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
A lot of other Lesters are chambered, too, but I don't know which ones. Some of the Studio Fadeds were, because I had one for a while.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
My top 10... in no particular order (because the order changes depending on my mood). :)

Gary Moore
Billy Gibbons
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eddie Van Halen
Ace Frehley
Mick Mars
Slash
Brian May
Vivian Campbell
Angus Young

Latest Threads