Plastic Case Timeline

Reaction score
Is this correct?

1978: Thinner Black - 2 Plastic Latches - Red Interior

1979: Thinner Black - 3 Plastic Latches -
Red Interior

Late ‘79-‘81 Thicker Black “Chainsaw” Style with Brown Interior and 3 Metal Latches

1982 - ?: Thicker Black “Chainsaw” Style with Blue Interior and 3 Metal Latches

Is this close to correct?

I bought a 1977 Les Paul Custom from the original owner. He purchased the guitar January 12, 1979. The guitar was new old stock at that point. They gave him the bigger Chainsaw Style case with brown interior. Not a big deal to me…but it got me thinking about late 70’s to 80’s cases and their timeline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Who

Well respected man about town
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it has all the info you seek, but this thread is packed with Protector (chainsaw) case goodness.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yep, search feature is always your friend here...

none of those dates you gave can be verified, no one is 100% on the timeline for the switch between different types of protector cases. It has been narrowed down, but no one is sure.

Music stores take a guitar out of the case, hang it on the wall and put the case in the back....those guitars do not always get the correct case back when they sell.

you also missed the black interior/metal latch case which seem to be for Jr's and SG's specifically.

rogue3

Reaction score
Is this correct?

1978: Thinner Black - 2 Plastic Latches - Red Interior

1979: Thinner Black - 3 Plastic Latches -
Red Interior

Late ‘79-‘81 Thicker Black “Chainsaw” Style with Brown Interior and 3 Metal Latches

1982 - ?: Thicker Black “Chainsaw” Style with Blue Interior and 3 Metal Latches

Is this close to correct?

I bought a 1977 Les Paul Custom from the original owner. He purchased the guitar January 12, 1979. The guitar was new old stock at that point. They gave him the bigger Chainsaw Style case with brown interior. Not a big deal to me…but it got me thinking about late 70’s to 80’s cases and their timeline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cool. to add data for your timeline...

I've owned the '79 3 (or was it 2?) latch version with a '79 Tobacco Custom...the most comfortable case to lug around with very good protection, and i have owned 2 of the later thicker chainsaw case with 3 metal latches.(still have one> the best in protection, short of an Anvil case)

I own an '87 standard with the thicker 3 latch affair, and an early '89 Standard with the same.

So i would say early 1989 is the end of the thicker/3 latch chainsaws, as I also own 2 other Les Paul's from '89 with the then new canadian made pink interior/brown case with combo lock.

i would guess depending on each individual distributor's case inventory and when they ran out (of chainsaws)

so till early 1989,ime.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My opinion, the later, thicker case (blue-brown-black interior) with the metal latches are inferior.

The latches are almost impossible to replace, the case is "molded" and therefore has a space between the layers of plastic and it WILL crack etc. They are bulky and cumbersome.

Now the first 2 versions with the thinner bodies and plastic latches....they are the stuff.

CA3E4AF8-A048-44FB-87C9-007C5E8D26FF.jpeg

Latest Threads