(Planning) A Star Spangled Banner Performance...Very Official.

Meatwad

Reaction score
When I was being interviewed for my current job, one of the first questions they asked was, "Why do you want to be here?".

I told 'em that:
A. I wanna drive the Zamboni, and....
B. I wanna play the anthem at a varsity hockey game.

I got to do it twice at two of the biggest games of the season last year.
Strat into wah, uni-vibe, and Fender Prosonic amp.

I usually try to keep it fairly straight up....especially when I know the man the arena is named after and the president of the university are watching/listening.

Last edited:

brianbzed

Reaction score
The US Air Force wants me to perform the National Anthem for my wife's change of command ceremony at Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina.
It'll be a very professional situation with about 450 troops standing and saluting at attention, with my wife accepting the US flag while I play the Star Spangled Banner.
Thing is, I'm wondering how much creative liberty I should take in this situation.
I want to give a solid Rock and Roll guitar performance (which is why i've been asked to do this) but I think this situation calls for proper by-the-book so to speak rendition.
What would you do in this situation?
This will be the first impression of all of my wife's subordinates and superiors.
Also, which guitar and amp?
I'll need to acquire new gear once there since all my stuff will be on a ship from Japan.
Had the honor of doing that a few years back at a Festival. Used a Carvin electric (DC 125) guitar. I played it straight, thinking I could ad lib a little, but the crowd began to sing along. No whammy theatrics at that point! Did it at a moderate tempo, adding a chorus going into the last 8 bars, flanger on top of that for the last 4 bars. Was great fun. Got one compliment from the festival organizer,"That was a Hendrix version, but a little of your personality came through." It was humbling.
Veteran, USAF '82-'92
A11470

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is what I used. With an MXR Phase 90. NOT a solemn event.

howlermonkey

Reaction score
I totally agree with Meatwad's use of the univibe.

Tune to E, fret that easy chord, and you will find all the notes you need for the first line. Hit the chord on the last note.

On a side note, Mustaine's performance was pretty respectful.

freak

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I liked Hoey's the best, Mustaine a close second.
Keep it simple, solemn and respectful.
Mess around with it a bit. I wouldn't do anything to wild, or flashy. It's the Military, it may not go over very well
Can you come up with something, with maybe some arpeggiated chords? Maybe some open strings riding the rhythm?

Malte

Reaction score
My idea is like playing a Barney Kessel kind of version. A chord for each single note - making it a gentle, subtl, non-political piece of art. Starspangled banner is a camparatively demanding and complicated anthem, so working out jazz chords for it would be appropriate.

greets,

Malte

zamdrang

Reaction score
I was stationed at Shaw in the 90s, sat through a couple of change of command ceremonies, but never got to hear the SSB on electric... cool.

Zentar

Reaction score
My Dad was a Lt Col in USAF back in the 60s.
Shaw AFB was named after a WW1 fighter pilot lost over France. The pilot was born about ten miles East of Shaw AFB.
During the Viet Nam War there were many F4 Phantom pilots trained at Shaw.

Shaw is about 60 miles inland and West of Myrtle Beach. My mother is buried just a few miles West of Shaw at one of the oldest Episcopalian Churches in SC. The famous botanist Poinsette which the Poinsettia
(Christmas plant) is named after is buried at this church.

One time, years ago I rode out to Shaw to see the brand new F16. I saw this jet take off and go straight up. I was stunned to see this level of performance

Last edited:

thatmanphil

Reaction score
My Dad was a Lt Col in USAF back in the 60s.
Shaw AFB was named after a WW1 fighter pilot lost over France. The pilot was born about ten miles East of Shaw AFB.
During the Viet Nam War there were many F4 Phantom pilots trained at Shaw.

Shaw is about 60 miles inland and West of Myrtle Beach. My mother is buried just a few miles West of Shaw at one of the oldest Episcopalian Churches in SC. The famous botanist Poinsette which the Poinsettia
(Christmas plant) is named after is buried at this church.

One time, years ago I rode out to Shaw to see the brand new F16. I saw this jet take off and go straight up. I was stunned to see this level of performance
Wow very cool. Sound like you have a lot of personal experience in that area. Thanks for sharing!