(Planning) A Star Spangled Banner Performance...Very Official.

thatmanphil

Reaction score

The US Air Force wants me to perform the National Anthem for my wife's change of command ceremony at Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina.

It'll be a very professional situation with about 450 troops standing and saluting at attention, with my wife accepting the US flag while I play the Star Spangled Banner.

Thing is, I'm wondering how much creative liberty I should take in this situation.

I want to give a solid Rock and Roll guitar performance (which is why i've been asked to do this) but I think this situation calls for proper by-the-book so to speak rendition.

What would you do in this situation?

This will be the first impression of all of my wife's subordinates and superiors.

Also, which guitar and amp?

I'll need to acquire new gear once there since all my stuff will be on a ship from Japan.

Attachments

Last edited:

thatmanphil

Reaction score
Of course, I'll want an American guitar for this. I'm keen on detail sometimes.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Think to your self.

What would Clapton do.
(Don't go all Aretha or improvisional like Jimi.

As far as equipment. Keep it simple. Strat through a fender or an LP through a Marshall. Don't over think it.

dissaffected

Reaction score
Surprise them all. Dred the head, smoke the ganga and do it Reggae. . After all, it is Friday. Something like this-

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Honestly I day dream of the Hendrix performance. But I think the Dave Mustaine one is more appropriate. I Never thought I'd say that
The Mustaine version sounds like what you're planning - just overdriven tone, played totally straight.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Funny thing about that anthem: so many performers seem to have wished to make it all about themselves, instead of all about the United States.

I'm not slagging you, Phil-- I'm certain that whatever you come up with will be good, and dignified. And I'm sorry I don't have a constructive or useful suggestion for you.

Just thinking of the ten thousand really shitty renditions I've heard of it over the years.

Best luck with it.

--R

Rando375

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plenty of solid advice above. You know what it means so just try and stay true to it and give it your best.

I'm sure the troops will love it.

Congrats to you and your wife.

RLTW!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
so if im reading your post correctly your wife is in charge of a whole base? awesome.im sure you will do the national anthem proud.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
You're a musician, and America is a country of artistic liberty and expression. The personal interpretation of the anthem is one of the purest ways of expressing how you feel about your nation and what it all means to you.

Your desire to play it with respect will result in your playing it with respect. Whatever the word "respect" means to you, that's what it will be.

Don't overthink it. Feel it. When you sing the anthem, what is going through your head? That's what will go through your fingers.

Anyway, since everyone else is contributing I'm gonna through out one of my favorite renditions by a guitarhead:

Deftone

Reaction score
Some of these guys are in concert settings so you can't blame them for improvising. The concert crowd wants a show.

Keep it short and sweet for an event that isn't about music. Mustaine nailed it, IMHO.

rxbandit

Reaction score
The only respectful way to do it is to stand there quietly for 2 minutes and salute everyone in the crowd. At the end you may light a roman candle

My Les Paul Classifieds