Planes and Pauls

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
So I am going to the UK in March and I really really want to bring a guitar over there with me! However I don't know if your allowed to bring a guitar on a plane, I know you can check it but thats a worry I do not want!

So can you bring a Paul on a Plane? I'd prefer to bring my LP with me but I have some Fenders if thats any safer, I just want to make sure I can take a guitar with me, and I don't know which airline I am taking yet its a school paid for exchange program.

Thanks!

VILLANOVA

Reaction score
According to my father (has worked in an airport for 25 years) the policy changes by airline. I took Delta to Dallas and they let me stow my guitar in the closet where the stewardesses keep their jackets and stuff (though that could've been done as favor for me because of my dad asking them..lol). Another time, they let me keep my guitar in front of me, leaning on the cabin, taking up valuable foot room! lol (I had a window seat).

Either way, the policy varies by airline so find out what airline you'll be on asap, and call and find out your airline's stance on the matter is.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I just use a heavy duty case. My SKB56's and Anvil flight case have worked on flights from the US to Japan and back several times, as well as travel within the US.

I check them as baggage and buy the insurance on them, never had an issue with it and I've been flying with them for 15 years.

BUDOKAI

Reaction score
So I am going to the UK in March and I really really want to bring a guitar over there with me! However I don't know if your allowed to bring a guitar on a plane, I know you can check it but thats a worry I do not want!

So can you bring a Paul on a Plane? I'd prefer to bring my LP with me but I have some Fenders if thats any safer, I just want to make sure I can take a guitar with me, and I don't know which airline I am taking yet its a school paid for exchange program.

Thanks!

it costs money to bring it in an its considered oversized baggage i believe, i suggest an skb case bc it has a tsa lock.

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I would like to avoid checking them because I've heard alot of horror stories about people getting there guitars back with broken necks etc. My guitar teacher tells me that I should be able to carry it in a gigbag as long as its my only carry on but I guess I should find out what airline first.

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
Check out the TSA web page. They have a specific section on musical instruments. Once you get your ticket, ask your carrier specifically about carrying on a guitar using the information from that page.

TSA: Transporting Musical Instruments

Thank you Treddingjr! At least know Im sure I can at least take it on as carry on i just need to talk to the airline first. Hopefully I can bring my LP overseas maybe jam with some UK MLP members!:dude:

Latest Threads