Plain vs Flame. Less is More ?

dspelman

Reaction score
That's not a "plain top" by any stretch. It's not bookmatched, it's not flitched. It's just two pieces of random wood bumped together. Not a bad thing; I've got a neck-through guitar with body sides made of elm (think "swamp ash") that have no grain relationships at all. I'm good with it.

elephantrider

Reaction score
That's not a "plain top" by any stretch. It's not bookmatched, it's not flitched. It's just two pieces of random wood bumped together. Not a bad thing; I've got a neck-through guitar with body sides made of elm (think "swamp ash") that have no grain relationships at all. I'm good with it.
hey, thanks!!

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I think PRS and Carvin have consistently had some of the best figured woods I've ever seen..
Yeah they use some pretty extreme quilts and flames. I wonder if it has to do with the wood or the fillers and dyes?

PRSWILL

Reaction score
It's the wood for PRS- Paul has an EXTENSIVE private stock of exotic woods- some that can't even be sold in the other countries due to the trade laws. There are many you tube vids on it out there. My Private stock is insane- even the back of the guitar is a curly African mahogany that puts most tops to shame. The neck is solid rosewood with a cocobolo fretboard, ebony tuners and 18K gold inlay birds. but for $ 14,000 (list price) it ought to be something special.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I know that A LOT of guys on this forum really despise heavy flame and quilted tops.

I don't have a problem with ANY top on a Gibson LP, as long as it sounds and plays great.

I've have a heavy quilted Gibson LP that's one of my best LP's in my collection.

At the time I bought it back in '84, it was more about the way it played and sounded as being the reason I picked it up.

The fact that I paid $500 for it was another determining factor in my buying it.

I will never ever sell this guitar, as it's my very 1st LP I ever owned, and it's one of the guitars I've owned the longest.

My '80 Gibson "JImmy Wallace" '58 "Prototype" LP Standard:

Last edited:

Latest Threads