Plain vs Flame. Less is More ?

Benniator

Reaction score
I tend to like plaintops on darker bursts, flametops on lighter bursts. My Standard 60's top looks like a highly-grained plaintop at some angles, but a transparent 3D flame appears as you move it in the light (which I can't photograph very well). This pic sort of shows both at once.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I own zero flame tops of any kind of guitar. Of my 3 Les Pauls, 2 GTs and a plain top Special Pro EX. I eventually came to love plain, natural grain, finding the flame just too much. I definitely see the beauty in it, just prefer the plain grain.

gball

Reaction score
I own zero flame tops of any kind of guitar. Of my 3 Les Pauls, 2 GTs and a plain top Special Pro EX. I eventually came to love plain, natural grain, finding the flame just too much. I definitely see the beauty in it, just prefer the plain grain.
Same here. I prefer plaintops by a pretty wide margin.

Cory

Reaction score
It’s strange, but as I’ve gotten older, my tastes in tops has completely shifted - I used to obsess over flame tops (and subsequently flipped a lot of LP’s), but now I’m really only into plain top or painted guitars (Goldtops are my personal favorite). Here’s a pic of my 3 “plain top” reissues - R7 candy apple blue, R8 iced tea, R7 goldtop darkback

Attachments

keys88

Reaction score
I think plain tops have an understated classy look.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Depending on lighting that thing could be a AA flamed top. Then again, sometimes I think Gibson gets their labeling wrong.

EasyAce

Reaction score
What is that model and top wood? It's amazing. Did Gibson produce that?
That's a Gibson. Les Paul Classic Antique. Zebrawood top. Limited edition during their Guitar of the Week series in 2007; the zebrawood model was #19 in the series. I have it set up for slide playing.

Latest Threads