Plain tops need love too

Fuelish

Reaction score
Plaintops are awesome... sure, there can be some bland ones, but have seen more bad plustops than plain, honestly. Granted, I only have an Epi - I ordered a plain and GC sent me a plus... they apparently felt it wasn’t worth the hassle to return it if I was cool with it... it turned to be a beautiful honeyburst, getting darker every year, I love it even though it’s veneer... but they didn’t charge me more than the plaintop price, and I didn’t want to be bothered with returning it either, honestly... but, yeah, wouldn’t mind getting a plaintop some day one pay, maybe P90s or humbucker sized 90s.... am becoming more of a single coil fan lately.... my LPs an ‘07, still plays/sounds/feels fine.
Plaintops are certainly worthy... I love being able to see wood grain in any form - not a fan of solid color guitars, for the most part - love to see the grain of the tree that gave it’s life to become guitars

BikeBro

Reaction score
Beautiful guitars posted previously, here’s my ‘03 Classic w/ OX4 Peter Green PAF’s, Creamtone plastics, historic aluminum tailpiece and ToneMan 50’s “59” harness. Kind of a R0 clone at this point. Can’t put her down!

Attachments

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
I have to confess, I use to dig the fancy flame tops more than plain tops. However, I’m diggin my CME Spec R8 plain top the more I look at it. Starting to look more vintage every day. Something about a nice Ice Tea plain top VOS. Probably the best tone of all my Les Pauls. But that’s just me!

mjross

Reaction score
This is my 2014 R8..... tag description as a plain lemon top..... if there was a grade for plain it failed... maybe a D+... if it was graded for flame.... again it fails.... maybe half an A.:rofl:

But I love the tone it makes despite being an ugly duckling. My tone monster.
View attachment 445432
I’m diggin it!

amv74

Reaction score
So many loving tops, many times i prefer a nicely grained top or flaming that is terribly mismatched. My luthier says in his opinion, he feels the plain tops get better sound, the flaming effects tone.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
1583450004262.jpeg

2015 R8 TH in all her glory
Wow! Nice guitar, brother! I'd take a plain top just as quick as I'd take a burst. To me, some of the plain tops actually look really good. Like yours.

IMG_3325.jpeg

Something about those damn lemons!

They look like faded 50s Les Pauls is what it is. I believe that's the look they were going for? Especially with the dirty lemon color. That thing is nice! Wow!

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
Man, you guys have some absolutely stunning guitars! You all should be proud! You don't have to have a burst to have a badass LP. Wow!

Latest Threads