Plain Top Question

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
How much are they asking?

I'm sure its a nice guitar, but plain tops like that look like repurposed furniture.

l0rdr0ck

Reaction score
I only ask because you can get lost in the trolling about tops, I have seen said in the past nothing with "flaws" or streaks would have left the factory in the "old days". I thank you all for your insights.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Well, they were pretty narrowminded back in the day about what was considered 'normal' or 'regular'. So considering the regular look of wood flawed if it didn't meet some plastic-esque vision of regular grain is pretty much just what you would expect really.

Nowadays of course we generally have a wider ability to look at irregularity and see the beauty.

But mineral streaks are seen actually as a more 'vintage accurate' aspect than anything else......as many of the best bursts have them on the tops

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
I cast my vote in favor of that top. I'm not a flame-top lover. Subtle flame is fine. Mineral streaking looks cool

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I'd go for that over some of the more figured tops I've seen for sale recently: In fact I'm specifically looking for a plain top LP, combined with a thicker neck and they seem hard to find now I'm looking...Oddly when I bought my Gold Top Studio I wanted a slim taper 60s neck and had trouble finding one.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Beautiful!! I’d buy that in a minute

I hate mineral streaks...flawed and ugly...but that is subtle and amazing

Would be proud to gig that

Mockbel

Reaction score
My plaintop is more “plain” but definitely this one looks gorgeous too !

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's my vintage '59 'burst, which, as you can see, has plenty of (small) mineral deposits and streaks. Although when new, 60 years ago, many of those "imperfections" would have been hidden by a deep red burst. So yes, the one you posted above certainly could have come from the Gibson factory back in the day...if that's what you're asking.

Frank