"Ping" from Vintage LP's

sFLsniper

Reaction score
There's a Gibson YT video that shows Bonamassa inspecting a reissue. Unplugged, the played a chord and the guitar makes a loud distinctive ping sound that he said that the authentic vintage LPs make.
Does anyone know which part, or combination, can be changed to achieve this? I realize it's a variation in metals uses today vs. yesteryear.
Tyia

E.T.

Reaction score
Are you allowed to post a link to the video?

sFLsniper

Reaction score
Sure, if I had the link. I have not seen it for weeks

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a Murphy lab it has nothing to do with the metal - it's the nitro that cracks ;)

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard a “ping” on modern Gibsons. The tuners have “PW” (Ping Works) stamped on them.

full

If you want to hear a “ping” sound on any era Gibson, install strings that are too big for the nut slots and during the tuning process you should hear a “ping” as the string binds in the nut slot.

BDW60

Reaction score
I saw a video comparing a vintage ABR 1 bridge with a reissue ... it was reasonably convincing that the mythical ping is in large part coming from the bridge.

sFLsniper

Reaction score
Thanks for the honest reply. Whether it's the studs in the wood, bridge, tailpiece, or machine heads, there is some variation in the metallurgy that causes it.
The 50's guitars are so articulate. I want to replicate it without dropping $12k or more.

Latest Threads