Piece of wood under R9 ABR-1

zoork_1

Reaction score
I have this idea of putting a piece of (hard) wood under the bridge...

Besides helping the bridge to not collapse from string pressure, I was thinking it might positively affect the sound.

Any experiences or thoughts....?

ARandall

Reaction score
I have had several bits of wood in somewhat indirect and poorly fitted contact before. It became the best vibration soaker I have ever experienced

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Either lift your tailpiece or top-wrap.

jlb32

Reaction score
Or just add another set of thumb wheels at the base to give extra support

jlb32

Reaction score
To prevent the middle from collapsing, the posts above mine will solve that. Top wrap or raise the tail piece to release some pressure. Other than that, buy a different bridge that won't collapse.

Personally, I've heard of the issue but never had the issue. It is fixable and can be straightened back up with a few pieces of wood and a vice but it's probably cheaper just to replace the bridge if it happens.

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this idea of putting a piece of (hard) wood under the bridge...

Besides helping the bridge to not collapse from string pressure, I was thinking it might positively affect the sound.

Any experiences or thoughts....?

Try it, and report back with your results. :dude::dude:

zoork_1

Reaction score
Try it, and report back with your results. :dude::dude:

Will do, thanks... :cool:

Thanks all for chipping in.

I'm primarily interested in how it can affect the sound, not too worried about my ABR-1.
I still have replacements in my drawers since testing bridges (vintage, stock, tonepros, Callaham)... :yesway:

jamman

Reaction score
I always have read , so consensus by my count is a Lower bridge gives better tonal transfer. Lower action . Raising a bridge to high makes it nasty to play ,and I have some guitars with a med/higher action set to them. Depends .

I've had an ABR-1 "fall in" a bit (didn't take many , many years either) ,enough to make it worth replacing .Unless it's a vintage piece , I wouldn't get hung up on having the original . put the original in the case pocket if you want to sell it with the guitar someday .

On Ebay, Gibson original ABR-1's are not to expensive ,,,,:hmm:

antikue

Reaction score
I'm primarily interested in how it can affect the sound, not too worried about my ABR-1.

I had to enlarge, fill and redrill holes for my ABR on a 68RI. The luthier put 8mm maple plugs and drilled the holes on them. No change in tone or sustain (same strings, as before the operation, even). Well, overall tone is quite a bit more pleasant now, what with being able to intonate the damn thing for once.. :D

Farquad

Reaction score
Conceptually, that is very similar to what the Babicz bridge does. It designed to have the bridge make contact with the body through some shims.

zoork_1

Reaction score
Conceptually, that is very similar to what the Babicz bridge does. It designed to have the bridge make contact with the body through some shims.

Interesting, thought I was quite alone with this odd idea... :eek:
I'l look it up and come back...

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Why don't you just cross that bridge when you come to it?
If...IF...the bridge buckles just buy a replacement.

zoork_1

Reaction score
I checked out the Babicz bridge, looks rock solid (a bit too "beefy" to my taste)...

Still not sure what makes a difference; contact or/and dealing with ABR-1 parts shaking, rattling and rolling... :hmm:

zoork_1

Reaction score
Why don't you just cross that bridge when you come to it?
If...IF...the bridge buckles just buy a replacement.

I have replacement bridges. It's the "contact" thing I ponder over...

Farquad

Reaction score
I checked out the Babicz bridge, looks rock solid (a bit too "beefy" to my taste)...

Still not sure what makes a difference; contact or/and dealing with ABR-1 parts shaking, rattling and rolling... :hmm:

It is a really solid design. Yes very beefy and not as elegant as the ABR, but a lot more adjustable. I find it a tad weird feeling to rest my hand on. The channels for the cams dont have sharp edges, but hard edges and you feel those. Other than that, I like it. Its difficult to tell if it all makes a difference as I have it on a custom built guitar and not an LP.

zoork_1

Reaction score
Thanks Farquad, I've put a piece of really hard wood under the bridge. I'll let it be for a week or two before evaluating anything.

SparkyJones

Reaction score
Unless you're restringing with .13's and play a half step above standard tuning your bridge isn't going to collapse.

Latest Threads